Quicken says sub-category that already exists has to be added

I've noticed recently that some (not all) sub-categories that I have set up can't be applied to a transaction because when I try to use it Quicken pops up with the screen saying the selected sub-category needs to be added. When I click "yes" add the sub-category it tells me it can't be added because it already exists. Has anyone seen this and know how to fix it?
Tagged:

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • mnevis
    mnevis Member
    Thanks. I validated and Quicken found issues so I deleted the categories that gave me issues and tried to categorize the transactions to a new category with a different name. When I tried to use the new category Quicken gave me the same error as before and wouldn't let me use that new category. The category function seems to be corrupted somehow and I don't know how to fix it.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible that, when working with the Category List,
    • you're not including hidden categories
    • you're not set to "Show [Full List]"
    • the Category List is not sorted by Category Name
    • you haven't selected "All Categories"?

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mnevis said:
    Thanks. I validated and Quicken found issues so I deleted the categories that gave me issues and tried to categorize the transactions to a new category with a different name. When I tried to use the new category Quicken gave me the same error as before and wouldn't let me use that new category. The category function seems to be corrupted somehow and I don't know how to fix it.
    If you're not able to locate a good Quicken file backup, I suggest you try the Copy and Validate instructions described in https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
This discussion has been closed.