Paycheck with multiple transfers to same account get combined

zeblon
zeblon Member ✭✭
I have two transfers to my HSA with every paycheck, one for my contribution and one for my employer's contribution. Quicken combines the two contributions into a single entry in the HSA account register. This is not welcome behavior.

For example, in my most recent paycheck I contributed $57.69 and my employer contributed $38.46. I enter this as 2 pre-tax line items in the paycheck (see screenshot). However, in the HSA account register there is only one entry for $96.15.

This is problematic for multiple reasons:

* First, it's just not what I want to see (why would I bother entering multiple line items in my paycheck if I only want to see one line in the register?).

* It makes it harder to do my taxes (employer contributions and employee contributions go on different lines of form 8889).

* It also means that the transactions I download from the HSA's financial institution don't match. It's impossible to match downloaded transactions.

* The memo only reflects one of the paycheck line items. That even more of a problem for me because sometimes I get a third contribution in the same paycheck (bonus contributions for completing certain activities) and I have no way to see a history of those extra contributions without opening paychecks one by one until I find what I'm looking for.

Is there any way to change this? If not, I consider this a bug. Can the development team please put this on their list of things to fix?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    zeblon said:
    I have two transfers to my HSA with every paycheck, one for my contribution and one for my employer's contribution. Quicken combines the two contributions into a single entry in the HSA account register. This is not welcome behavior.

For example, in my most recent paycheck I contributed $57.69 and my employer contributed $38.46. I enter this as 2 pre-tax line items in the paycheck (see screenshot). However, in the HSA account register there is only one entry for $96.15.

This is problematic for multiple reasons:

* First, it's just not what I want to see (why would I bother entering multiple line items in my paycheck if I only want to see one line in the register?).

* It makes it harder to do my taxes (employer contributions and employee contributions go on different lines of form 8889).

* It also means that the transactions I download from the HSA's financial institution don't match. It's impossible to match downloaded transactions.

* The memo only reflects one of the paycheck line items. That even more of a problem for me because sometimes I get a third contribution in the same paycheck (bonus contributions for completing certain activities) and I have no way to see a history of those extra contributions without opening paychecks one by one until I find what I'm looking for.

Is there any way to change this? If not, I consider this a bug. Can the development team please put this on their list of things to fix?
    Hello @zeblon,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem with transfers. Thank you for choosing to reach out to the Quicken Community in order to bring this subject to our attention.

If there is a feature that you desire in the Quicken software, you can always recommend it in the form of what are called Idea posts. The userbase would then discuss and vote on the proposal you have made, and the concept would be handed off to the development team for further consideration, should the Idea receive enough votes of approval from the other users.

Here is a thread explaining the process of creating an Idea discussion:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849425/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community

I hope this is helpful, and feel free to reach out to the Quicken Community with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note there is a workaround for this problem.  If you assign different tags to the split lines, Quicken will keep them separate.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I've used the method recommended by @Chris_QPW for several years now
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
This discussion has been closed.