Report showing return of capital does not sum correctly

Ret_Eng
Ret_Eng Member ✭✭
A report of "return of capital" only transactions shows all of the returns, but does not sum correctly on the "Overall total" line. Thoughts on this?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Ret_Eng,

Are you saying that the total of the "Cash" column (in my case - and I suspect most if not all cases - this is a positive number), when added to the total "Amount Invested" (a negative number), doesn't equal the "Cash+Invest" column (in my case a negative number)?  Unless it has something to do with timing of the transactions you've entered and the date range of this report, I am having difficulty understanding how this could be the case.

If you scan the report (and/or if you adjust the repost time frame), does the "difference" disappear?  Can you see anything that might relate to any specific transaction or transactions?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Ret_Eng
    Ret_Eng Member ✭✭
    Date Account Action Security Symbol Category Memo Quote/Price Shares Commission Cash Amount Invested Cash+Invest

TOTAL 6/1/2019 - 12/31/2019 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00

10/30/2020 Schwab Taxable 4299 RtrnCap B&G Foods BGS 41.64 -41.64
    TOTAL 1/1/2020 - 12/31/2020 0.00 41.64 -41.64 0.00

2/1/2021 Schwab Taxable 4299 RtrnCap B&G Foods BGS 157.67 -157.67
    4/30/2021 Schwab Taxable 4299 RtrnCap B&G Foods BGS 157.67 -157.67
    7/30/2021 Schwab Taxable 4299 RtrnCap B&G Foods BGS 157.67 -157.67
    11/1/2021 Schwab Taxable 4299 RtrnCap B&G Foods BGS 157.67 -157.67
    TOTAL 1/1/2021 - 12/31/2021 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00

TOTAL 1/1/2022 - 2/20/2022 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00

OVERALL TOTAL 0.00 41.64 -41.64 0.00

The formatting is problematic, but you can see the bottom line total. There are 4 transactions of 157.67 and 1 of 41.64 and the total shows as 41.64. I changed to Divs only and it was right. So just rtrncap.
  • Ret_Eng
    Ret_Eng Member ✭✭
    if you look closely, the subtotal for 2021 is zero despite the 4 x 157.67 returns of capital
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Ret_Eng

I have tried to replicate what you are seeing and I cannot.  I believe that your transaction data seems to be correctly reported by date, but it appears that the totals are not working, so I am confirming your initial assessment.  I can produce the same report and my totals work properly, so I have no idea why yours are not.

You could try validating your datafile, to see if that fixes it.  Otherwise, I would suggest that you contact Quicken Support to see if they might be able to provide some more hands on assistance.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20
    I tried to reproduce this error but could not; my RtrnCaps totaled correctly in the Investment Transactions report when subtotaled by year as in your display.
    You may have some corruption in your data. Backup your file and try Ctrl-Z while in the Schwab Taxable account register. If that doesn't resolve the issue, Validate & Repair your file.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Ret_Eng
    Ret_Eng Member ✭✭
    I did the validate and repair, and the report is still the same, showing the rtrncaps in 2021 but totalling them to be zero and showing those of 2020 as the total for the entire period
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you do the CTRL-Z recalc also?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Ret_Eng
    Ret_Eng Member ✭✭
    yes I did that first
  • Ret_Eng
    Ret_Eng Member ✭✭
    I opened it up to all securities, and there was one security with a rtrncap in 2021 that it showed in the total, but not the other two that did. It only included one of the two in 2020 that had rtrncap in the total for 2020 and the whole period. So it seems random with what security in what year.
  • Ret_Eng
    Ret_Eng Member ✭✭
    Quicken online chat support could not fix, they have suggested I contact via phone
  • Ret_Eng
    Ret_Eng Member ✭✭
    It remains unsolved, though apparently is a known issue they are working on.
This discussion has been closed.