Calendar not responding

:s Using most current version of Quicken. The following occurs. Today's date is 2/21/22

Steps to reproduce
1. Open calendar it shows February 2022.
2. Click on ">" button to show March 2022.
3. Quicken stops responding and I must end session. Same thing happens if you click the "<" button.

Research completed
1. Restored backup of 1/23/2022.
2 Calendar works fine.
3. Downloaded transactions via OneStep update and calendar stops working.

Seems like a data issue to me.
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Bstanley5,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!
    -Quicken Anja
  • Bstanley5
    Bstanley5 Member ✭✭
    edited February 24
    I've done this before and it does not help. This is very common advice. I can pinpoint the week period of time when this issue arose. The steps to reproduce are clear. I have a large file and when I run through this process [Removed - Language] stops working.
  • Bstanley5
    Bstanley5 Member ✭✭
    I used the advanced function to create a copy or template. The date range was just this month 2-1-22 to 3-21-22. All boxes were checked. The resulting file contained transactions from at least 2015. The calendar issue persisted. When I ran the validate I get continuous warnings. See screenshot attached. I've gotten this issue every time I have run it for years. Any suggestions?
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for the additional information.

Next, I recommend that you perform a clean uninstall/reinstall (this is different from simply uninstalling and reinstalling the program) which will clear out and replace the existing configuration files for Quicken (this does not affect any of your data and/or backup files).

To do so, please refer to this support article and scroll down to the section titled If the steps above do not resolve the issue. Then, open and follow the instructions found in the blue dropdown sections titled First: Download and use QCleanUI and Second: Rename Quicken Shared Folders.

I hope this helps!
    -Quicken Anja
  • Bstanley5
    Bstanley5 Member ✭✭
    I followed the instructions and ran through it several times. Even restored from backup and the problem is still occurring. I will do a clean install on my wife's computer which has never had Quicken on it; then restore from back up. That should determine whether it is a software problem or a data problem.
  • Bstanley5
    Bstanley5 Member ✭✭
    edited February 28
    Confirmed that the Quicken file is the problem. Steps to confirm this issue.

1. Installed Quicken in brand new machine that has never had Quicken on it.
    2. Restored 2-26-2022 backup to that machine.
    3. Performed the steps to reproduce above and got the same results - so the file is the issue.

Questions
    1. Are there any other tools available that I can use to correct the file that run to completion?
    2. Are there any tools that would help me to migrate to a fresh instance? This migration may fix what ever corruption there is.
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for following up, and confirming that this is an issue within the current data file.

Next, I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file in an attempt to rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. You would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID which can eliminate certain data file issues that may not always be detected through validating or super validating in the original file.

I hope this helps!
    -Quicken Anja
  • Bstanley5
    Bstanley5 Member ✭✭
    I've done this. It brings everything over regardless of what date range I use as described previously. When I validate it can't complete the process.
    I will check into Super Validation. I suspect I will run into the same issue as with validation but will try it.
  • Bstanley5
    Bstanley5 Member ✭✭
    The calendar works only for the current month. So I guess I will live with it. Not happy but that is the way it goes.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many Scheduled Reminders do you have in your data file? Just a few? Thousands of reminders, most of them copies of the same entry, repeated ad nauseam? Look in Tools / Manage Bill & Income Reminders instead of the Bills & Income tab.
    Looking at the image you provided, I suspect that your reminders table has ballooned to several thousand reminders due to a loop in the program.
  • dmkahn
    dmkahn Member ✭✭
    edited March 27
    I'm having a similar but different problem with the calendar. I only have 11 reminder entries. Sometimes when I try to open calendar view, the program just spins forever until I kill it, then I run a validate cycle, it finds a corrupt calendar/reminder entry, deletes it, and all is fine for a while, until it occurs again. open, kill, open, validate, ok for a little while until we repeat the cycle.
  • Bstanley5
    Bstanley5 Member ✭✭
    It turns out that the calendar function is fine but the forward and back buttons do not work. Typically I have used those buttons. The Go To function on the right is working. So I need to enter a date in the past or in the future and the correct month appears. See screenshot below.
  • Bstanley5
    Bstanley5 Member ✭✭
    here is the correct screen shot
  • Bstanley5
    Bstanley5 Member ✭✭
    Wait... the calendar is working now! Something got fixed recently.
  • Bstanley5
    Bstanley5 Member ✭✭
    check that nope. Anyway the buttons on the right work.
  • dmkahn
    dmkahn Member ✭✭
    Yes, the issue is intermittent for me as well, and I think there's corruption in memory because there's no real corrupted calendar/reminder entry, yet validate and repair finds one. No entry of mine is ever deleted. Sometimes just restarting the program fixes the issue for me, other times I must do another validate and repair. I can always open the calendar/reminder list through the tools menu, it only spins sometimes if I try to just open calendar view directly.

This is annoying. Quicken should address the issues with the calendar/reminder entries.
This discussion has been closed.