Suntrust to Truist transition problems

After last weekend's Truist conversion, I successfully changed 2 of my Suntrust accounts from direct connect to Express Web Connect - first I deactivated the accounts and then reactivated and selected BB&T Online as the option. But Quicken will not allow me to deactivate my checking account since it has a pending future direct connect payment. I can't cancel or delete the payment in since Quicken will no longer direct connect to Suntrust.

How do I fix this?

What happens if I leave the old Suntrust account as is (and stop using it) and then create a new Quicken checking account selecting BB&T Online EWC as the option?

PS, I plan to switch to Quicken Bill Manager since I refuse to pay for the Truist Direct Connect after having it for free with Suntrust.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23 Answer ✓
    @gog8trz - Did you first deactivate Online bill payment at the bottom of the Online Services tab of Account Details of the checking account before you tried to Deactivate the account itself?

(QW Premier Subscription: R39.23 on Windows 10)

Answers

• I had to contact Quicken support and they helped me cancel the pending transactions and deactivate the account even though I could no longer connect to Sun Trust. You could create a new account, but I did not want to do that. I also plan to switch to Bill Manager in Quicken to avoid the $7.95 Truist charge.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited February 23 Answer ✓
    @gog8trz - Did you first deactivate Online bill payment at the bottom of the Online Services tab of Account Details of the checking account before you tried to Deactivate the account itself?

• gog8trz
    gog8trz Member ✭✭
    edited February 25
    @Boatnmaniac Thanks, that worked!. After deactivating the Bank Bill Pay, it allowed me to deactivate the Suntrust online services. I reactivated with BB&T Online and the EWC works fine. I still have no idea what will happen with the pending payment.
  • Boatnmaniac
    I am glad it worked for you.
    Regarding the pending payment:  If it was already a scheduled Bill Pay at Sun Trust then I'm pretty sure it is still in place and will be processed as scheduled by Truist.  I have been through several bank mergers over the years and in every one of them all pending/processing Bill Pays were always completed as scheduled by the new bank.
    However, you might want to look at your online account to see if that payment is shown there as pending or scheduled.  It might not be shown there but but that does not mean it was deleted.  If you do not see it there you should probably contact Truist to inquire about it.
    Also, it is very possible that any/all of your Sun Trust Bill Payees might have been deleted and will need to be set up, again.  The same might also be true for any repeating Bill Pay schedules.
  • gog8trz
    gog8trz Member ✭✭
    When I had Truist on the phone to discuss my debit card issue, they told me the future payment should process. Fingers crossed....

PS, after waiting an hour on hold, they couldn't fully address the debit issue. I had two cards with Suntrust for my wife and I, but apparently Truist only sends one replacement unless a second is requested. They would not let me request it (even though we are both on the account) and she was not here to speak to them. Now she has to call back!

What a horrid transition!!!
  • Boatnmaniac
    gog8trz said:
    When I had Truist on the phone to discuss my debit card issue, they told me the future payment should process. Fingers crossed....

PS, after waiting an hour on hold, they couldn't fully address the debit issue. I had two cards with Suntrust for my wife and I, but apparently Truist only sends one replacement unless a second is requested. They would not let me request it (even though we are both on the account) and she was not here to speak to them. Now she has to call back!

What a horrid transition!!!
    I just went through PNC's acquisition of and merger with BBVA USA last Oct.  They did the same thing...sent me a new debit card but not my wife.  And they would not agree to send her another one when she requested it via phone call and online account secure message.  They told her that she would need to go into the local branch and make the request in person.  Funny thing is that I went into the branch not long after that to get something notarized and requested a card for her (she was not present) and they said "No problem.  It will be mailed to her home address.  Is that OK?"  To which I replied, yes, it should be OK since the last time I checked she still lived there."  :D
  • dc0063
    dc0063 Member ✭✭
    After this disaster, I've several payment scheduled for Thurs 24th. None show on bank web, nor pending, and vendor site [chase] hasn't received payment. They were all paid 2+ days early and now they are late. So far only bank-initiated transfers and ACH receipts show.
    30 year SunTrust customer, 10 day Truist customer.
  • gog8trz
    gog8trz Member ✭✭
    As expected, the scheduled transaction that I created before the transition did not pay.
  • Boatnmaniac
    It seems that Truist failed to do what any bank involved in an acquisition and merger should be highly focused on to ensure it happens:  Make previously scheduled payments as scheduled and on time.  If you get charged a penalty for late payment you should request Truist to reimburse you for that.
  • Roger Snook
    Roger Snook Member ✭✭
    While I did have success with the Truist conversion guide: https://www.truist.com/content/dam/truist/us/en/documents/internal/olb/QRG-OLB-DirectConnectReenroll.pdf what I'm finding now is:
    1. I had several SunTrust BankBillPay payments (Sent via Quicken) that were issued, but never made it to the biller.
    2. DO NOT create an email in Quicken about your payments - as soon as I did that - it resulted in a BB&T directconnect error recovery state that I'm stuck in.
    3. Not sure if it's an outage now, but this "error recovery" state in Quicken isn't fixed yet, despite the "refresh rebranding" option from the Online Center.
  • jjanczewski
    jjanczewski Member ✭✭
    edited March 9
    I am having the same issue now. I did have success originally converting to the BB&T Direct connect. I created inquiries about missing payments that never made it to the vendor. Since then, I am stuck in the "error recovery" endless cycle. I have repeatedly deactivated and reactivated the connection but that does not help. I can no longer download or send payments. This has been since March 3. [Removed - Disruptive]
  • Roger Snook
    Roger Snook Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac - for those of us wishing to continue to use Truist/BB&T Direct Connect - but are current stuck in "error recovery" mode, would you still recommend that deactivate BankBillPay feature and then REactivating it?
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited March 10
    @Boatnmaniac - for those of us wishing to continue to use Truist/BB&T Direct Connect - but are current stuck in "error recovery" mode, would you still recommend that deactivate BankBillPay feature and then REactivating it?
    I suppose you could try doing that and see what happens.  But I would suggest that you back up your file first because deactivating BankBillPay will break the links of any previously scheduled payments/transfers and those won't be restored when reactivating BankBillPay.  (It will not delete the payment/transfer schedules at the bank, just the links between the bank and Quicken.)
    I'm thinking that doing this, though, won't work because there appears to be a DC issue that may be the cause of this BankBillPay issue.  If you have not already done so you might want to read the following posted Alert:   ONGOING 3/9/22 Truist Bank - Missing Direct Connect Option.  Although this Alert specifically addresses an issue when trying to setup a Truist account with DC I am thinking that the DC issue of this Alert is what is causing this BankBillPay issue, as well.
    Are you able to download transactions via DC?  If so, great.  At least you will get transactions downloaded and keep your account in Quicken accurate.  If not, you might want to consider temporarily changing your connection method to EWC so you at least get transactions downloaded.  You can always log into your online account and schedule Bill Pays there.  Then when this DC issue is resolved you can switch back to DC and start using BankBillPay, again.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Quicken has announced that the Truist Direct Connect issue has been resolved and is now capable of DC Billpay.  Be sure to select Truist Online Banking when setting up the account in Quicken.:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909138/resolved-3-16-22-truist-bank-missing-direct-connect-option#latest.
  • jjanczewski
    jjanczewski Member ✭✭
    i was hopeful when they finally said they fixed the problem. BUT when i send online payments Truist returns a transaction that is completely mixed up. Wrong payee, wrong amount. it seems like the data is getting completely mixed up
This discussion has been closed.