Troubleshooting poor performance, over 1,500 blank / $0.00 reminders

Currently it takes roughly 15 seconds for an edited transaction to save and about 30 seconds to switch from the register to bills & income -->projected balances. Other things I've done to try and remediate performance:
Reduce the number of memorized payees
File Ops validation
File Ops Super Validation
Verified processor isn't being throttled
Verified processor usage doesn't go above 15%
Not storing file in Dropbox
Uninstall / QCleanUI / Install

I also followed the steps for troubleshooting poor performance (https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-performance-troubleshooting). After validating and repairing a copy of my file, I now have over 1,500 blank reminders for $0.00. I cannot shift click to remove more than one at a time. Any one ever seen this or have any ideas? This makes me think something is afoul with the reminders in my file and contributing to the poor performance.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    adambrock said:
    Currently it takes roughly 15 seconds for an edited transaction to save and about 30 seconds to switch from the register to bills & income -->projected balances. Other things I've done to try and remediate performance:
    Reduce the number of memorized payees
    File Ops validation
    File Ops Super Validation
    Verified processor isn't being throttled
    Verified processor usage doesn't go above 15%
    Not storing file in Dropbox
    Uninstall / QCleanUI / Install

I also followed the steps for troubleshooting poor performance (https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-performance-troubleshooting). After validating and repairing a copy of my file, I now have over 1,500 blank reminders for $0.00. I cannot shift click to remove more than one at a time. Any one ever seen this or have any ideas? This makes me think something is afoul with the reminders in my file and contributing to the poor performance.
    Hello @adambrock,

I am sorry to hear about these performance issues, as well as the trouble with blank reminders being added to the data file. Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community about these problems.

Were any of these reminders previously containing data; are you missing information in your account registers? Also, when did this issue begin.

Provided that you have been saving backups regularly by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen, I recommend restoring from a backup - preferably just prior to when you noticed the issue beginning - by going into the same menu and selecting File > Restore a Backup File. If this has already been attempted we can then look to other options.

I hope to hear back from you, and intend to continue working with you on these issues here in this discussion.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • deliusfan
    deliusfan Member ✭✭
    @adambrock,

I went through something similar, but I "only" had 500 blank reminders when I went to see what was my problem. What you need to do is go and delete them, bit by bit. It will take hours, probably days. But you can slowly attack them and remove them. As they are deleted, your program will noticeably speed up. But you have to manually delete them. I remember selecting like 30 or 40 at a time and then hitting my enter key a bunch of times in a row, it would store up the keystrokes and override the "are you sure you want to delete" popup window.

Validate and restore backup probably won't help you; chances are these have been building up for a long time now, and going back far enough to remove this problem will only create a new problem, how to get back up to date.

Personally, doing the mind-numbing boring task is WAY better than having to redownload and sort and reconcile all your accounts for probably more than a year ago.

GOOD LUCK, you have my complete sympathy. Take your time, do this is stages, like 5 minutes of it between other tasks or something. You can't go at it all at once until it starts getting faster between each step. It's like amortizing a loan; at the beginning it's all interest (system lag) and little principal (incrementally speeding you up). I finished my 500 in about two weeks. Maybe you're more dogged than I am and will finish in a similar amount of time for your 1500.

deliusfan
  • deliusfan
    deliusfan Member ✭✭
    UPDATE: I'm having my own personal hellacious experience with a new update refusing to open my data, risking 20+ years of my records, etc, but in rolling back to a previous version of Quicken Deluxe, and finally opening my most current file, it's decided, in solidarity to you, no doubt, to add a bunch of those blank reminders. The good news is I can tell you what to do, each time, because I had forgotten:

Each "bill" has a calendar date next to it; this will help you see your progress in eliminating your "bug problem". Next to the edit button to the right, hit the down arrow (not the edit button, proper, that window will just slow you down), and then choose "delete this and all future instances". It will then ask you "are you sure" just hit enter and walk away. It might take 45 seconds or more between when you hit enter and when the item finally disappears (those calendar dates are how you can see; you'll see the dates shift up unless you have 12 reminders on a specific date. Once you kill a few, you'll see it happen.

I've just killed a months' worth while typing this; because you're doing "this and all future instances" you shouldn't have any repeat months in your list, it should be all encapsulated within 12 months, maybe just a ton on a single date to take care of. I hope this buoys your spirits!

deliusfan
This discussion has been closed.