Latest version won't load

Quicken will not load for me. I have the latest version installed (39.17) and it doesn't work. The last new release I installed wouldn't open either so I uninstalled and went back to an earlier version. However the other day Quicken just updated to the latest version automatically and now the problem is back. I've tried all the suggested fixes on the support page and even opening using ctrl+shift didn't work because once it actually opened it just crashed again. I'm tired of uninstalling and reinstalling older versions - is there a better fix?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To revert to an earlier release, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install while disconnected from the internet, update by applying the appropriate Mondo Patch, and restore a data file saved prior to updating from the earlier patch release.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken. To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the appropriate Mondo Patch: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows, https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has, or http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).
  • photoskunk
    photoskunk Member
    Thanks - I've tried everything you suggested (other than going back to an earlier release since I can't seem to find the files). I uninstalled, ran the QCLEANUI process, reinstalled. On one attempt it actually opened and I got in. However I clicked on one item to start to use it and it froze again. So I tried it all over again and after the next reinstall I get to the point where it asks to restore the data file and then it crashes every time again while installing that. I don't know what else to do, I feel like I need to give up and find some other product. Unfortunately Quicken has the exact functionality I need but it is no longer working at all for me.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have Controlled Folder Access enable?

FAQ: Windows Defender & Controlled Folder Access — Quicken
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks - I've tried everything you suggested (other than going back to an earlier release since I can't seem to find the files). I uninstalled, ran the QCLEANUI process, reinstalled. On one attempt it actually opened and I got in. However I clicked on one item to start to use it and it froze again. So I tried it all over again and after the next reinstall I get to the point where it asks to restore the data file and then it crashes every time again while installing that. I don't know what else to do, I feel like I need to give up and find some other product. Unfortunately Quicken has the exact functionality I need but it is no longer working at all for me.
    Based upon your description of what you did, you did not do what I had suggested two weeks ago.  

Since then, Quicken actually appears to have successfully resolved the issues introduced in the staged R39.17 release and R39.23 is now their official latest release.  I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update Quicken, and restore a Quicken file backup saved before you upgraded to R39.

One way to do this when you're not able to open the default Quicken file is to press the Ctrl key when you open Quicken.  Doing this should open Quicken without opening the Quicken file.  Then, you should be able to select File > Find Quicken Files... which should allow you to locate and open the available Quicken files and Quicken file backups.

If the issue persists, I suggest you contact Quicken Support: select Help > Contact Quicken Support
This discussion has been closed.