How to clear payee dropdown list?

Tominator
Tominator Member ✭✭
The dropdown Payee list in both the Write Checks and Register mode keeps filling up with old payees. They are NOT in my memorized payee list. I have Auto memorize new payees turned off.

See example photo: In this part of the list, the ONLY payees I have from the Memorized payee list are the two in yellow. All of the others have somehow crept into the list over time. I have tried validate and super validate to no effect. It makes the check writing process annoyingly harder than it should be. ONLY my designated Memorized payees should be showing up.

Oh and as a side note, the "Tags" feature in these forums really needs work.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5
    The issue is you have the Complete fields using previous entries preference checked and you need it checked to include memorized payees: select Edit > Preferences...

• Tominator
    Tominator Member ✭✭
    Really? So the dropdown lists just fill up with junk indiscriminately? That seems completely counter-productive to having designated memorized payees.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5
    Tominator said:
    Really? So the dropdown lists just fill up with junk indiscriminately? That seems completely counter-productive to having designated memorized payees.
    If you know you want to use a memorized payee: press Ctrl + T, right-click on the memorized payee, and select Use
  • Tominator
    Tominator Member ✭✭
    Do those extraneous entries (they are almost all from downloaded transactions) ever go away in the dropdown? Or does Quicken keep a fixed number? Is there any way to clear it?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I was looking at this and for some reason I don't have anything on my list that isn't in the memorized payee list.  And as I clear memorized payees off of that list they don't appear on the payee list in the register.

So, I don't even know what triggers putting non memorized payees on drop down menu in the payees register.  I don't normally have automatic memorize on, but as a test in a file I had it on and added some online accounts and still they are only from the ones on the memorized payee list.

Manual entry isn't the key since I can type into a transaction that way, and its payee will not show up in the payee list in the register.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Tominator
    Tominator Member ✭✭
    Chris, your experience is how I think it should work. I am using QW H&B. No idea if that's what's doing it. Those entries have to be stored in the data file somewhere.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6
    It's been my experience that the dropdown Payee list is composed of a combination of Memorized Payee List entries and payee names used in prior register transactions.
    To clear the MPL of long-time unused entries activate (put a checkmark) in
    Remove memorized payees not used in [xx] months

and set [xx] to something like [18] (anything you like >0, but >12) so that annual and other infrequently but still needed MPL entries do not disappear. See the Preferences image provided earlier in this discussion.
    If you have many MPL entries that are a variation of the same Payee (e.g., Costco 1234, Costco 4563, etc. for different Costco stores), consider setting up a Renaming Rule to standardize the payee name on just "Costco". Use Edit / Find/Replace to rename existing register transactions to the desired standard name.
    Personally, I'm happy that MPL retains many entries, even for the same Payee Name. This, for example, makes entering my Amazon purchases easier. There are predefined entries for different categories, Food, Clothing, Household, Garden, etc. that I can pick from as needed.
  • Tominator
    Tominator Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:

> Remove memorized payees not used in [xx] months

I already have it set to 7 months. The payees are from years ago in many cases. Some are even oddball investment transactions like "XXLL4 transfer in". And I have renaming rules for things like Walmart & Costco that do what you say.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tominator said:
    Do those extraneous entries (they are almost all from downloaded transactions) ever go away in the dropdown? Or does Quicken keep a fixed number? Is there any way to clear it?
    You might try coercing Quicken into rebuilding the Memorized Payee List:  press Ctrl + Shift and select Tools > Memorized Payee List

Before making any significant changes to your Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    It's been my experience that the dropdown Payee list is composed of a combination of Memorized Payee List entries and payee names used in prior register transactions.
    This what I have always believed, but for me that isn't happening.  I should state that I almost never manually enter transactions.  There are a few that are reminders, and maybe a check a couple of times a year.  But testing in my data file and my test data file it isn't remembering any payees that aren't on my memorized payee list.

Starting with no payees in the memorized payee list, and automatic memorize on.

And the memorized payee list:

Now, delete "Test" from the memorized payee list.

Now with automatic memorize off:

So, I don't know what is going on.  Note I'm using Premier not HBR, that might factor into this.
    I have tried this with both online and offline accounts, with both automatic transaction entry mode on and off.

I'm at a loss for what triggers saving non memorized payees entries.

And I certainly have no clue on how to clear them off of the list.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.