Can I hire a local Quicken expert to solve a problem tech support has been unable to?

Lisa Ostroff
Lisa Ostroff Member
edited March 24 in The Water Cooler
Problem with One Step Update from my banks for months now. Tech can't fix. Go to bank website, download, upload to Quicken works fine. Try to download through Quicken transactions are accurate but balances are off going back years and by hundreds of thousands $$$.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the issue with the downloaded transactions? Are there duplicate transactions in your register?

If you can describe the problem in more detail, someone here may be able to help for free.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Lisa Ostroff
    Lisa Ostroff Member
    The issue is not with transactions. They download accurately, no duplicates. The issue is with the Quicken balance. It is off by hundreds to hundreds of thousands of dollars depending on the account. The discrepancies go back as far as I can see even thought the accounts were reconciled and online/Quicken balances matched 30 days before. If I download from bank website to my desktop then import to Quicken, balances are correct and matched. only happens when I update through Quicken.
  • Jim_Harman
    First, make sure your account register is sorted in ascending order by date, with the little arrow next to the Date header pointing up. Make sure there is no filter applied to the register - the search box at the top of the register should be blank with the magnifying glass displayed.

If the account balance after a One Step Update (OSU) is off by a huge amount, you should be able to scroll quickly through the register while watching the balance, and see if a huge transaction has crept in which is throwing off your balance. This might be caused by the initial OSU and hopefully would not happen again.
  • mbond
    mbond Member ✭✭
    If you are on version 39.17 or 39.21 it might be the Paycheck issue that is spoken about in other threads. These two updates have corrupted paychecks that are entered into the register causing the balance in the account to be completely off.
  • Lisa Ostroff
    Lisa Ostroff Member
    Thank you both! I have no paychecks, so can I eliminate that issue? I went back a year and there are no errant transactions. This first happened about three months ago. As far back as I went I could find no balances that matched my online balances. No clue as to when Quicken thinks this occurred. One month the balances agreed, the next they didn't (by 200+K). Now, as I said, the balances don't match no matter how far back I go.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9
    Hi @Lisa Ostroff,

Please take a look at the opening balance of the account (or accounts) where the current balances are incorrect.  It is possible that those opening balances are where your problems lie.  Other users have reported that their opening balances have been changed by the application.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Lisa Ostroff
    Lisa Ostroff Member
    The other thing that is weird is that the first month it was just my checking account. Quicken tech said it was a server error and file a report. The next month it was my checking account and my Discover card. The Discover was easy to research because there are only 2 or 3 transactions a month. Again, transactions were correct but balance was out of left field. Now I manually download everything because I don't want to have to restore from backup sand start all over if another account goes screwy.
  • Lisa Ostroff
    Lisa Ostroff Member
    Thanks, Frank. I'll check that out.
  • Jim_Harman
    Remember that the running balance of an account is the sum of ALL the transactions in the account. So if somehow a transaction from years ago gets corrupted, the final balance will be affected by the same amount.

If you have not already, you might want to back up your data, then go to File >Validate and Repair and see if validation finds or corrects any errors.
This discussion has been closed.