Should I be concerned about this?

rtd
rtd Member
Good morning all!

I have been using Quicken since May of 2018 and validate my data file at least once a week. I do this because every so often it catches something and repairs it. That generally seems to occur when I change the date of a transaction. Should I be concerned about this entry specifically? I have not seen this before with regards to security references. I am under the impression currently that it is OK because it says nothing is out of range. It just started last night. Thank you in advance and have a good day!

Maximum security reference: 21, number of securities: 18.
No out-of-range security references found.

The full log file is below.

====================================================

[Thu Mar 10 09:33:57 2022]

File: "C:\Users\{redacted}\Documents\Quicken\{redacted} Quicken Data"

QDF:
Validating your data.
No errors.

QEL:
No read errors.

QEL:
All internal consistency checks passed.

[Thu Mar 10 09:34:02 2022]

Super validation has completed.

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That is a normal "non error" log entry.  Your fine.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That is a normal "non error" log entry.  Your fine.
    Signature:
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your data, your choice, but the space in your Q data file has been known to cause issues (not necessarily related to this issue).
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 11 Pro version 21H2
  • Monte Bliss
    Monte Bliss Member ✭✭✭
    GeoffG said:
    but the space in your Q data file has been known to cause issues (not necessarily related to this issue).
    How do you fix this?  I am now getting this after the last two updates. 39.17 and 39.23

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    GeoffG said:
    but the space in your Q data file has been known to cause issues (not necessarily related to this issue).
    How do you fix this?  I am now getting this after the last two updates. 39.17 and 39.23

What @GeoffG is suggesting is changing the name of your Quicken data file so that it doesn't have spaces in it.

You would do this outside of Quicken with the Windows File Explorer.
    These steps should get you there:
    From Quicken:
    File -> Show this file on my computer.
    Close Quicken.
    In the Windows File Explorer window that came up rename your Quicken data file (right click on it).
    Double click on the Quicken data file to bring it up in Quicken, so it knows the new name.

It is also recommended that the name be 8 characters or less.
    Signature:
  • PediEyeDoc
    PediEyeDoc Member
    With all due respect to the prior answers, I also Validate weekly (and Super Validate monthly) and I just started getting the same error ("Maximum security reference: 265, number of securities: 265") and my data file is named "Data2022". I am also using the latest version, having just updated a few days ago (v39.23; build 27.1.39.23; W10 Pro).
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all due respect to the prior answers, I also Validate weekly (and Super Validate monthly) and I just started getting the same error ("Maximum security reference: 265, number of securities: 265") and my data file is named "Data2022". I am also using the latest version, having just updated a few days ago (v39.23; build 27.1.39.23; W10 Pro).
    As stated above, this is not an error, especially when the two numbers are the same. It's a log entry which the programmers thought necessary to display every time you validate. Would have been nice if they had documented this message and its explanation somewhere ...
    Under normal conditions, it should not be necessary to validate or super validate the file on a regular schedule. My data file appears to be well behaved. Crashes are a rare exception.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19
    As @UKR said this entry in the validate and repair log isn't documented at all (actually nothing about the features is documented!), but here what think about it.

Of these two lines, only the second one "matters".  As in, if it said something like found x number out of range security references, now that would be an indication of something was wrong.

Think of a reference as a "pointer to".  So, the first message is saying that you have 18 securities and 21 pointers to those securities.  I have no idea where they would use a pointer instead "the security", but such a use doesn't imply any kind of error.  To me this seems more like "it would be nice to know information" for the developer if something was wrong.  Opposed to "this is definitely wrong" information.
    Signature:
  • PediEyeDoc
    PediEyeDoc Member
    Appreciated the elaboration from Chris, so thanks. And although I'm very happy for UKR, I envy his/her/their smooth experience. I had been having regular crashes (~bi-monthly) until I saw a post in another thread from an experienced user who recommended regular validations. Further, a level 2 Quicken tech support rep recommended I copy the entire file yearly to get rid of extraneous "stuff". Following these two strategies, (knock wood) I have not had any crashes.
This discussion has been closed.