Account and routing number entered but not saved in edit account window

jamesf
jamesf Member
I have a data file with several spending/checking accounts. There are a couple that will not save either account number or routing number in the edit/delete account dialogue box. Is this a known issue?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jamesf

What actually happens after you insert the data in the "Financial institution" and "Account Number" fields?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jamesf
    jamesf Member
    Hi - Oddly, there are spending/checking accounts in my data file that show up when you invoke "edit/delete account" under the "General" tab that have a box for the name of the financial institution followed by a box for the account number in the upper right-hand side, and these work fine. But there are several spending/checking accounts in the same data file that show "Financial Institution" with no input box next to it followed by three entries, all with input boxes, labeled "account number," "Routing number" and "Customer ID" that do not work. Every time I input data into any of these three boxes and then press "OK" to close the "Edit/Delete" box, the entries I added are not there the next time I invoke the "Edit/Delete Account" for any of those accoounts.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If these accounts are connected to online accounts, you shouldn't be editing these fields.
    At one time they were made read-only, but I have noticed at times they aren't any more.

These fields are set by the information that comes from the financial institution.  They decide what they want there.  They aren't for you to record information about the account.  These are used in the matching of the data coming from the financial institution to the Quicken account.  If you muck with them, you might break downloading of the transactions.

The exception to this is when one is trying to "start over", and you deactivate an account for downloading, and remove this information before setting it up again to make sure it doesn't affect getting the account connected correctly.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jamesf
    jamesf Member
    Thanks. All of my spending accounts, both working right and not working, are not connected online to a financial institution. Transactions and Reconciliations on all of my spending/checking accounts in this data file are done manually from paper statements. Is it possible that the accounts not working were once linked to a financial institution and set up for transaction online download and that could that be causing problem - and if so, how do I fix it now that they are no longer connected online (nor do I want them to be connected online)?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jamesf said:
    I have a data file with several spending/checking accounts. There are a couple that will not save either account number or routing number in the edit/delete account dialogue box. Is this a known issue?
    Where are you seeing this - don't think I have seen a "routing number" -
    AND... as you mention in a later response -
    none of these accounts are currently connected to their online financial institutions - and don't want that -
    so why would these "banking numbers" even matter ?

QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • jamesf
    jamesf Member
    The numbers matter because it allows me keep ALL my financial account data in one place - Quicken. If I ever need a routing or account number I can easily find it for all my accounts - except these that do not allow this information to be saved in the Quicken application.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @jamesf

This is cheating (a little bit) but one way to disconnect ALL your accounts at once is to simply make a copy of your datafile.  To do that - 

1) click "File" > "Copy or Backup File" > then under "Advanced Options" - click the "Create a copy or template" button.
    2) On the next page enter the opening date in the from field > and browse for the location you want the file placed > then click "Save Copy".

That should give you a file copy that will be disconnected from any prior connections.

Let me know whether that fixes your problem.

Frankx 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jamesf said: The numbers matter because it allows me keep ALL my financial account data in one place -
    Well - the Edit Account appears to have several OTHER areas where you can enter & save your "routing & acct number"

QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
This discussion has been closed.