exporting a qfx file from my bank account no longer works

This week when I export a qfx from my bank to quicken it automatically saves to a qfx file in my download folder rather than exporting directly to quicken. When I click on this qfx file it says to chose an app to open this file. What happened? It worked last week.
Before it would allow me to open this qfx with quicken.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like your Windows settings for what to do with downloaded files have changed.  Maybe this week's Windows update caused it?
    When you click on the QFX file now does it allow you to choose Quicken to open the file?  It should.  And when you do that it should then ask you if you want your system to remember Quicken as the default so that Quicken is always used to open QFX files in the future.  Then when you download QFX files in the future it should be automatically imported into Quicken, again.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R39.23 on Windows 10)
  • Mark Peterson
    Mark Peterson Member ✭✭
    It does not allow Quicken to open the file anymore
  • Boatnmaniac
    Have you tried rebooting your computer?
  • Mark Peterson
    Mark Peterson Member ✭✭
    Yes, the computer is rebooted every day. I am proficient in computers so that is obviously the first thing I tried
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited March 11
    Please don't be offended when I or anyone in this Community ask some very basic questions.  We usually have little knowledge of the level of expertise that a person posting here has.  And you would be surprised to see how many people with a good level of expertise will respond with something like, "Duh!  Of course!".  :D
    Which version of Quicken are you running and is your subscription still active?  You can get this information from Help > About Quicken.
    Also, what edition (Starter, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business) does About Quicken show you are running?
  • Mark Peterson
    Mark Peterson Member ✭✭
    Subscription active. Renews 2/6/2023. Running Deluxe version. Version R38.30 and build 27.1.38.30. Windows 10 Home.
    Check updates says I have current version of Quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Let me take a crack at this.

First the most likely fix, reinstall Quicken:
    How do I download Quicken from Quicken.com to install or reinstall it?

Now the details.

There are registry settings in Windows that associate a given file type with a given program.
    These are set by the Quicken install.

The way this works is that you open a given file type, Windows sees that there say Quicken is associated with the QFX file and uses that information to pass the path of the QFX file to Quicken as an argument on the command line.

Note there are two possible ways that you might open that QFX, one is in your web browser, and the other is in Windows File Explorer.  From the web browser gets a bit trickier because it might have its own settings for what program to use when opening a given type, or it might just pass it on to Windows to do the open.  Opening the QFX file from the Windows File Explorer is a way to make sure the problem is at the Windows level.

If it works from Windows File Explorer, there is some setting in your web browser that has changed.

If not, it is the Windows registry setting.
    There is no telling what actually trashed the Windows registry setting.

The fact that you are being asked what program to use to open the QFX file suggests that it has lost that information.

One might think that then all you have to do is when Windows asks you tell it that Quicken should be used for opening the QFX file.  But unfortunately, that isn't the case.

Here is the registry setting:

You will notice the -X option.  That option tells Quicken that the next argument (the QFX file name will be filled in the %1) is a QFX file. Otherwise Quicken will take it as a QDF file.

If you answer that question or use the Windows "Default program" settings it will put in:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe" "%1"
    Not:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe" -X "%1"

So, the question is how to get that setting fixed?
    Reinstalling should reset that setting to the correct value.

And as side note you should always be able to use:
    File -> File Import -> Web Connect (.QFX) File...
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Mark Peterson
    Mark Peterson Member ✭✭
    I will try reinstalling Quicken this weekend.
  • Mark Peterson
    Mark Peterson Member ✭✭
    Thanks for you help.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Your welcome.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Mark Peterson
    Mark Peterson Member ✭✭
    I reinstalled Windows last week for some issues and then reinstalled Quicken. I am now able to open the qfx file from file explorer. I am still not able to have the option of opening the file directly in quicken like I have had for many years.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you use Firefox as the browser?
    If so, please review your Firefox settings. There has been a change with a recent Firefox update. See my response in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20252930#Comment_20252930 for detail.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark Peterson said:  When I click on this qfx file it says to chose an app to open this file.
    Don't you usually get the checkbox [x] to ALWAYS open this file type with this program ?

QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • Mark Peterson
    Mark Peterson Member ✭✭
    Umm, follow the chain. I already asked this question.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark Peterson said: I am proficient in computers ....
    ok - I guess we are done here....

QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
This discussion has been closed.