Windows 11 and Quicken Starter Web Connect Issue

DevinciD
DevinciD Member
I recently installed Windows 11 and reinstalled Quicken Starter and restored my backup file. I have always used Web Connect to download my banking statements from 2 different banks with multiple accounts. The download procedure from each account always auto launched the Quicken application but now will only download a Statement.qfx which I have to manually import. I have tried both FireFox and Microsoft Edge but both have the same result. Is this a Windows 11 security setting perhaps?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    After you downloaded and saved the QFX file, did you go to where you had downloaded it and then double click on it?  That should have opened a dialog asking you to select the application (Quicken) you want to use to open the file and also given you the opportunity to make that application the default for that type of file.
    If you instead imported that file from within Quicken you would not have seen that dialog nor been given the opportunity to make it the default for QFX files.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R39.23 on Windows 10)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I assume what you are saying is that you use to open the QFX file in your web browser and it will automatically import into Quicken.  And now with Windows 11 it isn't doing that.

I know of nothing in Windows 11 that should block that process.  Are you sure you are doing an open in your web browser instead of a save?

Also, if you can do like @Boatnmaniac suggests and opened using Windows File Explorer and it works correctly that certainly would point to something different with Windows 11/web browser opening files.  Or maybe if you are using a third-party anti-virus software it might be that.

BTW note @Boatnmaniac if one gets prompted to select the program to open when they open a QFX file, then that settings for doing this aren't properly set in the Windows registry.  To fix such a problem you want to reinstall Quicken, so that it fixes the Windows registry setting and not try to set using that prompt or Windows default settings.  The reason is the default Windows process will not put in a command line argument that is needed for it to work right.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • DevinciD
    DevinciD Member
    The file is downloaded by the browser. It already has the correct program association and imports into Quicken when double clicked with no dialogue about choosing a program.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that is what I thought.  So, it only doesn't work with opening it in the web browser.
    I don't really know what would block that.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note I just saw in another thread, that Firefox was recently changed, and it will no longer allow opening a QFX file, save only.

On Windows 10 MS Edge still works for me, but I haven't tested on Windows 11.
    Signature:
  • DevinciD
    DevinciD Member
    Hi Chris. Thanks for your help. I think this issue began back in October 2021 when Quicken made changes to the way Express Web Connect works. I only ran into this because I changed computer hardware and had to re-install Quicken. In Windows 11 Firefox correctly associates the download with the Quicken app and gives an option to open the file directly from the drop down window at the bottom but it still saves the file to your computer as does MS Edge. I don't see any way to change that behavior but I can live with it.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    DevinciD said:
    Hi Chris. Thanks for your help. I think this issue began back in October 2021 when Quicken made changes to the way Express Web Connect works. I only ran into this because I changed computer hardware and had to re-install Quicken. In Windows 11 Firefox correctly associates the download with the Quicken app and gives an option to open the file directly from the drop down window at the bottom but it still saves the file to your computer as does MS Edge. I don't see any way to change that behavior but I can live with it.
    Express Web Connect and Web Connect are two completely different things.  They shouldn’t affect each other at all.
    Signature:
  • DevinciD
    DevinciD Member
    Understood, but something changed.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13
    Chris_QPW said:
    Note I just saw in another thread, that Firefox was recently changed, and it will no longer allow opening a QFX file, save only.

On Windows 10 MS Edge still works for me, but I haven't tested on Windows 11.
    Interesting.  I've also observed that with a recent Firefox update downloaded PDF files will no longer automatically open in Adobe or PDF24.  Instead, they go into my downloads folder and I have to open them from there.  Most of the time those PDF files won't even automatically open in Firefox anymore.  Sometimes I will still get prompted to decide if I want to select a location to save the file or to open it but if I click on open file will not do that and just saves it in the downloads folder.  I can't remember when this first started but I'm thinking sometime in the last couple of months. 
    My initial thought was that Firefox perhaps made a global change regarding downloaded files.  But then why would I still sometimes get prompted to decide if I want to open the file with an app?  Starting to sound like maybe it's a Firefox bug. 
    BTW, I'm still running Win 10.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R39.23 on Windows 10)
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you verified your settings in Firefox, to establish what Firefox should do with this type of file?
    Here are my settings (but I don't usually download QFX web connect files. One Step Update works just fine for all my banks, both Direct Connect and Express Web Connect))

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Windows 11 with Microsoft Edge will not open a download file directly. After downloading the QFX file, you need to click Open file on the Download window. As long as Windows has the correct file associations, Quicken should import the transactions.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Windows 11 with Microsoft Edge will not open a download file directly. After downloading the QFX file, you need to click Open file on the Download window. As long as Windows has the correct file associations, Quicken should import the transactions.
    OK it seems between the change in FireFox and Windows 11, opening files from web browsers is now “dead”.

On the subject of FireFox, I haven’t used it in years, but it was always “different” than other web browsers in the sense that it had its own settings for deciding how to open (or not to open) files.

With Windows File Explorer and other web browsers they didn’t have such settings, instead the relied on the Windows registry settings.  When an application is installed it can register different file types that it can handle.
    and that is what determines what program will be run if you say open a .txt file.  There is also the right click in Windows File Explorer for Open With (in some operating system versions you have to hold down shift too, and in Windows 11 you will probably find it on the More…)

Opening a file that you just downloaded has always been considered a risk, so how to handle that risk has changed over time.  Going both ways, more strict and less strict.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.