Quicken freezing at launch

I launch Quicken and I get the Quicken logo in the middle of the screen and it just hangs there. I tried uninstalling Quicken, running the Quicken clean program and reinstalling Quicken, but the same problems happens. I'm using Windows 11 and this started after a Windows update a couple days ago. I also had a Quicken update around this same time. So not sure the cause. Anyone else having this issue or know a fix?
Tagged:

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Talents3777
    Talents3777 Member
    I have the same exact issue today.
  • x89
    x89 Member ✭✭
    I am having the same issue won't install or run on Win11 with the last patch.
  • mtjm
    mtjm Member
    I'm having the same problem. Just started today. When trying to start Quicken the logo appears and the little spinner just spins. Program just would not start. After trying reboot, etc., I went thru the uninstall and Qclean procedure, then reinstall. When reinstalling, it seemed to freeze at the updating part. I let it go for about 10 - 15 minutes and it finally completed the install.

When I tried to start Quicken it seemed to act the same as before...logo appears and little spinner sat there spinning! It's now taking 4 minutes for the program to start up. This is with a full fresh install.

There is something wrong with this latest release. This is on Quicken deluxe R39.23 on windows 11. All was running fine until today. All other programs on computer run fine)
  • x89
    x89 Member ✭✭
    Same problem here.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Again, do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender?
  • mtjm
    mtjm Member
    No I do not have controlled folder access enabled.
  • Pharmgirl1
    Pharmgirl1 Member
    after spending 2 hours on the phone with support, I can get quicken to launch but it freezes when I try to enter any transactions. Quicken support is now unavailable because the site is "under maintenance" which seems to be their code for "we screwed up and are being overwhelmed by phone calls". This has been going on for 2 weeks now. Do they not realize that people depend on this system to work? I'm flying blind financially because I cant get this to work. They would not answer my question when asked if Quicken was not compatible with Windows 11. I dont have Windows Defender, so that's not it. They had me delete and reinstall the software, that didnt help. My latest backup was corrupted so I had to go back to a backup done the first of february. Its just a mess and needs to be straightened out.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    FWIW, I have been running Quicken Subscription on Windows 11 with no problems at all. What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
  • mtjm
    mtjm Member
    I have been running on windows 11 also, since November. There have been no problems since this week. Gotta figure that it's a problem with this release...R39.23.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    You never answered my questions. I tried Quicken R39.23 on a Windows 11 PC and it worked fine. Have you tried starting Quicken by holding down the Control key, so a data file is not opened? If Quicken starts, try opening your data file. If it hangs, there's something corrupt in your data file.
  • mtjm
    mtjm Member
    Greg - If you're addressing me, I am not in front of my Quicken computer at this time. I will try the control key start up later tonight.
  • schmieg
    schmieg Member ✭✭
    My Quicken installation on Windows 11 started doing this today. I do not have Controlled Access Folders enabled, I am not running dropbox, onedrive or google backup. With so many different people describing the same problem, there must be some common factor.
  • mtjm
    mtjm Member
    Did some testing. Tried holding control when starting but that did nothing to improve start up. Then I tried disabling Microsoft defender and boom...Quicken started right up as normal. I then re-enabled Defender and Quicken is still started up correctly. Rebooted and again Quicken started normally. Strange. I didn't make any changes to Defender. I'll continue testing.

Anyone have any theories on this?
  • sjcarmich
    sjcarmich Member ✭✭
    mtjm... I too have been on W11 for some time and no issue on start up till about 3 days ago. Your, suggestion of Turning Off Defender, Run Quicken, Exit Quicken, Turn Defender ON. Worked .... thanks for posting.
  • Steven Shook
    Steven Shook Member ✭✭
    If you are automatically backing up files to Google Drive, then this can cause Quicken to freeze. You can temporarily pause Google Drive while you use Quicken.
  • flier
    flier Member ✭✭
    Turning Off Defender, let Quicken start for me as well
This discussion has been closed.