Is there a problem accessing and downloading Data from Scotiabank accounts?

Gene B
Gene B Member
Using Onestep Update, asks for Quicken password, shows connecting to Scotiabank and processing data, does not result in Scotiabank request to verify I am trying to login, and says update complete but no data added to accounts. Worked fine on March 7 but noted problem on March 12. Checked account setting in Quicken and when updated, resulted in duplicate accounts and in US funds, not Canadian.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @Gene B,

Thank you for contacting the Community, I am sorry that you are experiencing this error. 

First, I suggest creating a test file to see if the same error occurs. Below are instructions and a link to a support article that discusses how to create a test file. 

1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-create-new-quicken-data-file

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine
  • Gene B
    Gene B Member
    Accounts downloaded but show as US Dollars
  • SkiBikeHike
    SkiBikeHike Member
    Experiencing the same issues with Scotiabank since roughly March 10. Setting up the test file as instructed above resulted in the same thing for me: One Step Update was able to connect to Scotiabank and download my accounts and recent transactions, but they're all in USD now, except for one of my Visas.

As per my comment on another thread (https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7910373/quicken-one-step-update-summary-says-complete-but-it-didnt-update), this would indicate that the only solutions I was given on a Support call (relocate my file and turn off my firewall) would have done nothing to resolve the problems I'm experiencing.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @Gene B and @SkiBikeHike,

Thank you for your responses. 

I have uploaded a few links in regards to changing the currency on accounts. 

https://help.quicken.com/pages/diffpagesbyversion.action?pageId=3216390&selectedPageVersions=2&selectedPageVersions=3

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-convert-existing-account-different-currency

-Quicken Jasmine
  • SkiBikeHike
    SkiBikeHike Member
    I don't want to change currency on my accounts in a new test file. I only did that to confirm that my network and firewall are not preventing One Step Update from working, as the only solution I was given by Support on a call was to relocate my file and disable my firewall. I did neither with the test file, and One Step Update worked perfectly well with it.

I want One Step Update to work on my original file, which it still does not. It continues to say it worked and reports no errors, but it does not actually attempt to connect to Scotiabank as far as I can tell.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @Gene B and @SkiBikeHike,

Thank you for your response. 

Since this error did not occur in the test file and you were able to download transactions. I suggest restoring from a backup that was created before this error occurred and then reconnecting your accounts. 

First, you will want to save a backup of your current file, just to be safe. 

Below are instructions on how to restore from a backup and here is a link that discusses these steps as well as some other details. 
    1. Select the File > Backup and Restore > Restore from Backup File....
    2. Select Restore from your backup, then click Browse.
    3. Browse your computer or external media to find the backup file you want to restore. The Quicken backup file has the extension: QDF-Backup.
    4. Select the file to restore and click Open then Restore Backup.
    5. On the following prompt, you will be given the option to overwrite the file you have open or to create a copy of the backup you're restoring.
    6. If you create a copy, you will need to select a location to save the copy to and you will also need to give the copy a unique file name. After naming the file and selecting the location, click Save, then click Yes to open the restored file.
    7. If you are restoring a file over the current file, click OK to overwrite the current file then click Yes to open the restored file.

Restoring a backup file replaces your current data with the data stored on the backup disk. Be aware that you'll lose any changes you made since the backup was created. If you want to preserve the current file, you must rename the current file or the file you are restoring. We recommend avoiding overwriting files.

Below are instructions on how to reactivate your accounts after restoring the backup and here is a link that discusses these steps as well as some other important details. 

To Reactivate Account(s)

1. Open the Account List (Ctrl + A).
    2. Click the Edit button on the account you want to reactivate.
    3. Go to the Online Services tab and click the Set up Now button.
    4. Type in the financial institution name and walk through the wizard.
    5. Choose LINK on the screen displayed after Quicken finds the available accounts at the financial institution for your login credentials and carefully link to your existing Quicken account(s).
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • VicBC
    VicBC Member ✭✭
    Hi Jasmin,

I am having the exact same issue and went through all the troubleshooting steps mentioned above. To sum up:

1. My Scotiabank accounts stopped importing new transactions with Onestep Update.
    2. I deactivated and reconnected the accounts, linking them carefully.
    3. The transactions are now successfully imported, but the checking and savings accounts currency changed to US$ instead of CAD. Strangely, the same error did not happen with my credit card account which is still in CAD.

Troubleshooting: as I said, I tried all the steps above in several chat sessions and phone calls with Quicken support. We opened test files, disabled firewalls, made sure the test files were in the C drive and not synced with any cloud service.

No matter what we did, the result would be the same: the accounts would be successfully added, transactions imported, but US dollar instead of Canadian.

Quicken support also directed me to Scotiabank twice, and twice the bank has confirmed that the currency on their backend is CAD. I verified this by manually downloading a QFX file from the bank and the currency is correct there.

Could this be a bug with Express Web Connect? Since many of us started having this issue roughly at the same time it would be greatly appreciated if this could be investigated. Even if you find that the issue is with the bank, is it possible to coordinate with them to resolve it? This week I've been directed by support agents from Quicken to the bank and back several times, and everyone says the problem is on the other end.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    edited March 24
    VicBC said:
    Hi Jasmin,

I am having the exact same issue and went through all the troubleshooting steps mentioned above. To sum up:

1. My Scotiabank accounts stopped importing new transactions with Onestep Update.
    2. I deactivated and reconnected the accounts, linking them carefully.
    3. The transactions are now successfully imported, but the checking and savings accounts currency changed to US$ instead of CAD. Strangely, the same error did not happen with my credit card account which is still in CAD.

Troubleshooting: as I said, I tried all the steps above in several chat sessions and phone calls with Quicken support. We opened test files, disabled firewalls, made sure the test files were in the C drive and not synced with any cloud service.

No matter what we did, the result would be the same: the accounts would be successfully added, transactions imported, but US dollar instead of Canadian.

Quicken support also directed me to Scotiabank twice, and twice the bank has confirmed that the currency on their backend is CAD. I verified this by manually downloading a QFX file from the bank and the currency is correct there.

Could this be a bug with Express Web Connect? Since many of us started having this issue roughly at the same time it would be greatly appreciated if this could be investigated. Even if you find that the issue is with the bank, is it possible to coordinate with them to resolve it? This week I've been directed by support agents from Quicken to the bank and back several times, and everyone says the problem is on the other end.
    Hello @VicBC

I am sorry that this issue with Scotiabank currency displaying as USD remains ongoing. Thank you for providing additional details about the situation for us here on the Quicken Community.

Would you happen to have a ticket number from when you may have spoken with Quicken phone support? If you'd like, you can provide this via direct message. I will have to message you first. You can check your messages by clicking on the 'mail envelope' icon in the right-hand corner of the screen.

I look forward to your response.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • VicBC
    VicBC Member ✭✭
    Hi Jared, thank you for replying.

The ticket # from my latest call is 9324730. I have 9322227 as well from a previous call. There was a call before that but I wasn't given a number.

Feel free to message me directly! When I click on the mail envelope icon there is no option for me to start a new message - it just says I have no messages yet. Same thing when I click on "all messages" to open my inbox.

Thanks,
    Victor
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    VicBC said:
    Hi Jared, thank you for replying.

The ticket # from my latest call is 9324730. I have 9322227 as well from a previous call. There was a call before that but I wasn't given a number.

Feel free to message me directly! When I click on the mail envelope icon there is no option for me to start a new message - it just says I have no messages yet. Same thing when I click on "all messages" to open my inbox.

Thanks,
    Victor
    @VicBC,

Thanks for getting back to me with your ticket numbers, and for being so patient.

After some internal review, I was able to confirm that support had reviewed the case and it had been recommended to report the issue to Scotiabank to bring this matter to their attention, as well. I understand that you have spoken with Scotiabank support previously, and they were able to verify the currency type in the backend of the online connections, but were they able to confirm that they had taken note of the issue being reported? I recommend contacting them once more and requesting to speak with either a 'Tier 2' representative or an escalations team, as these personnel are more likely to be familiar with third-party software like Quicken.

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared

• Flytdeck
    Flytdeck Member
    Hello fellow Quicken users and solution providers,

Following the US currency issue with interest as I have had the same problem commencing earlier this month. After Scotia accounts would not update, I did a disconnect and reconnect (this had happened before) but then noticed the accounts savings/chequing accounts were now in US dollars which really throws a monkey wrench (is this phrase no longer PC?) into the system.

I have resorted to disconnecting the Scotiabank files and downloading the QFX files to update the accounts. This is a relative pain and I would like to restore the automatic updates.

Please follow through with these issues and let us know the solution(s).

Current Currency Conundrum
  • JohnMcG
    JohnMcG Member
    I have the same problem as listed above, when I had to change bank cards in Dec 2021. I was also told my old Q file (opened in the 90's) must be corrupt, but a newer file has the same problem. Looking through this forum, I see this problem goes back to 2018. It was mentioned that the US version of Quicken does not allow foreign currencies and a code change had to be put into Quicken CAN to allow CDN currencies. It seems that something in the Quicken CAN code is not seeing this exception and things are messing up now.
  • grimmt1957
    grimmt1957 Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same issue.

Started earlier in the month (March) with transactions not being added (even when the online balance was updated).

The problem is somewhere in the Express Web Connect working with ScotiaBank.
    [A wild guess is the Express Web Connect thinks the transactions are now in US funds and is discarding US transactions]

The reason I think this is that after deactivating and reactivating the account, the account changed from CAD to US currency (all by itself).

Things I've done for testing:
    o Create a new account from a QFX download and it is verified as being in CAD funds.
    o Update account with another QFX download an it remains in CAD funds.
    o Change account to use Express Web Connect, and the account switches to US funds.

I have currently set up yet another account just using manual QFX downloads and it seems to be working. I won't use Express Web Connect again until I hear this is fixed.

Very frustrating as this impacts 4 of 5 Scotia accounts and I've spent 4-6 hours getting my accounts reconciled. I have inter-account transfer transactions that keep wanting to apply exchange rates. And my monthly Planning reports are not correct with it also applying exchange rates to my budgets.
  • Gene B
    Gene B Member
    I had done all this before. Restored and still no data downloaded. Reactivate and accounts switched to US Dollars. As with SkiBikeHike, want Onestep to work on the old file without US Dollars
  • Gene B
    Gene B Member
    Downloading .qif file from individual accounts using the 'floppy disc' eith downward arrow then opening into Quicken now works but Onestep Update still not accessing data
  • SkiBikeHike
    SkiBikeHike Member
    I did manage to restore a backup from before One Step Update stopped working. However when I reactivated the accounts for One Step Update, it converted all of them to USD, although it did successfully download transactions for the past month. The only account I couldn't reactivate, naturally, was a USD Visa. I couldn't select the proper existing account to link it to, so I ignored it.

There's obviously something very wrong with One Step Update and account currencies for Canadian customers. Guess I'll have to manually download files from Scotiabank for the time being.
  • ecoethic
    ecoethic Member ✭✭
    I too have the same problem, One Step Update does not work on either Scotiabank or Simplii Financial. I called customer support, they walked me through deactivating/reactivating all my Simplii Financial accounts, and it worked that day, then stopped again. It's just ridiculous that this mass problem has been ongoing for over a month now.
This discussion has been closed.