Quicken fails Direct Connect - then change IP address and it works

mrskillet
mrskillet Member ✭✭
I have a scheduled update in Quicken for Windows 2020. Sometimes, when I open Quicken, I find that all the direct connects have failed (8 banks, 11 accounts), and all the web connects (3 banks) worked.
I will try the one step update again, and all the direct connects fail again.
My "solution" is to change IP addresses by disabling my ethernet network connection and connecting to my other ISP using the wireless adapter. After doing this, I try the one-step update again, and the direct connections work fine.
I can then disconnect the wireless and enable the ethernet network connection, and the one-step update works fine on the ethernet network connection.
Can anyone explain this behavior?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    mrskillet said:
    I have a scheduled update in Quicken for Windows 2020. Sometimes, when I open Quicken, I find that all the direct connects have failed (8 banks, 11 accounts), and all the web connects (3 banks) worked.
    I will try the one step update again, and all the direct connects fail again.
    My "solution" is to change IP addresses by disabling my ethernet network connection and connecting to my other ISP using the wireless adapter. After doing this, I try the one-step update again, and the direct connections work fine.
    I can then disconnect the wireless and enable the ethernet network connection, and the one-step update works fine on the ethernet network connection.
    Can anyone explain this behavior?
    Hello @mrskillet,

I apologize about this confusing issue with IP addresses affecting account connections. Thank you for bringing this issue before our attention here on the Quicken Community.

Are you making use of any Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), pop-up blockers, antivirus software, or firewalls? These items are the first things we look into when witnessing unusual connection issues like those being described here. It is sometimes necessary to remove any of the aforementioned software or settings or otherwise turn them off, as they can prevent proper connections from taking place. As to why the issue emerged so suddenly, I would require additional information.

Also, have there been any recent changes in your network settings? This also seems plausible as a source for this behavior. It may be necessary to speak with your ISP about any changes they may have enacted as well. Bear in mind: requesting to speak with a 'Tier 2' representative or escalations team is sometimes necessary, as they may have more familiarity with software such as Quicken.

I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to speaking with you about this in greater detail.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • mrskillet
    mrskillet Member ✭✭
    No VPN here. Unless Quicken 2020 for Windows has a pop-up blocker... I don't think that is an issue.
    Yes, I have MS Essentials antivirus and Windows Firewall, both of these are active before, during and after the issue described.
    No network settings changes.
    The scenario I describe happens 4 to 6 times a year; I am making no other changes.
    Since you don't seem to have an immediate answer to this issue, I will attempt to run a network traffic analyzer the next time this happens.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    mrskillet said:
    No VPN here. Unless Quicken 2020 for Windows has a pop-up blocker... I don't think that is an issue.
    Yes, I have MS Essentials antivirus and Windows Firewall, both of these are active before, during and after the issue described.
    No network settings changes.
    The scenario I describe happens 4 to 6 times a year; I am making no other changes.
    Since you don't seem to have an immediate answer to this issue, I will attempt to run a network traffic analyzer the next time this happens.
    @mrskillet,     

Thank you for following up with me and providing additional background information about the issue. I do apologize that the resolution remains unclear, for the moment.

I would be interested to hear the results of any additional tests, if you are willing and able to provide these. Have you ever operated Quicken accounts on other devices or networks and noticed similar issues?

I look forward to hearing more from you about this, if you should have the opportunity to check in with us once more in this discussion.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.