Quicken automatically adding unwanted tags to downloaded transactions

jbm3
jbm3 Member
I am trying to use the tag 'Receipted' to indicate that a transaction was entered using the mobile app*.

When I am in the register and going through downloaded transactions to accept them, if I come across one with the 'Receipted' tag, the following transactions will also be tagged as 'Receipted' whether or not it is supposed to be.

I can recreate the problem like this:
1. Make sure the "Tag" column is showing in the register.
2. Identify a downloaded transaction that is untagged but don't accept it yet.
3. Find a downloaded transaction that is tagged, and accept it.
4. Immediately select the transaction from step 2, above, and note that it now has a tag.

This is a problem because it ends up tagging all my transactions if I'm not paying attention.

Note that I have deleted all memorized transactions to ensure that it's not auto-filling the tag based on that.

* I'm doing this because of another problem... I can't tell if a downloaded transaction was entered on the mobile app (my equivalent of saving the receipt) or not unless I tag it, or use the memo field (and I'd like to use the memo field for, you know, individual memos about each transaction). The Match function for downloaded transactions is very error-prone, and I can't figure out any other way to clear transactions (i.e. prove that the date, vendor, and amount are all correct) without a pile of paper receipts on my desk, which doesn't seem like a reasonable method this far into the 21st century.

Any insight into what I might be doing wrong (or a better way to validate downloaded transactions against actual purchases) would be appreciated.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    jbm3 said:
    I am trying to use the tag 'Receipted' to indicate that a transaction was entered using the mobile app*.

When I am in the register and going through downloaded transactions to accept them, if I come across one with the 'Receipted' tag, the following transactions will also be tagged as 'Receipted' whether or not it is supposed to be.

I can recreate the problem like this:
    1. Make sure the "Tag" column is showing in the register.
    2. Identify a downloaded transaction that is untagged but don't accept it yet.
    3. Find a downloaded transaction that is tagged, and accept it.
    4. Immediately select the transaction from step 2, above, and note that it now has a tag.

This is a problem because it ends up tagging all my transactions if I'm not paying attention.

Note that I have deleted all memorized transactions to ensure that it's not auto-filling the tag based on that.

* I'm doing this because of another problem... I can't tell if a downloaded transaction was entered on the mobile app (my equivalent of saving the receipt) or not unless I tag it, or use the memo field (and I'd like to use the memo field for, you know, individual memos about each transaction). The Match function for downloaded transactions is very error-prone, and I can't figure out any other way to clear transactions (i.e. prove that the date, vendor, and amount are all correct) without a pile of paper receipts on my desk, which doesn't seem like a reasonable method this far into the 21st century.

Any insight into what I might be doing wrong (or a better way to validate downloaded transactions against actual purchases) would be appreciated.
    Hello @jbm3

I am sorry to hear about these issues with downloaded transactions failing to appear in the mobile app, and with tags on transactions. Thank you for inquiring about this on the Quicken Community.

If I may, I would like to begin by troubleshooting with the mobile app concerns in mind, as it sounds as though this is the ultimate source of the difficulties you have mentioned. What data file are you using in the Mobile App? You can check this anytime by clicking on the Settings button denoted by the three lines stacked atop one another. Also, are you viewing your register in the Mobile version with the All Transactions filtering currently active?

I look forward to hearing more from you about this issue, and hope to continue working with you on this problem in the future, if necessary.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.