can not create a new file with desktop for windows

SK2000
SK2000 Member
I have downloaded and installed Quicken desktop for windows. it is however that noting shown when it is launched. I see just fie and help on the top of its window. Though i create a new file, nothing has shown up.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @SK2000,

Thank you for contacting the Community, I am sorry that you are experiencing this. 

Before I can further assist you, I require some more information. Could you please post a screenshot of the error that occurs when you create a new file? Where are you saving this file and what are you naming it? 

I look forward to hearing your response.
    Thank you. 
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • glabelle69
    glabelle69 Member
    I have the same issue, I just updated my quicken and it gives me the same problem on Windows 11.
  • glabelle69
    glabelle69 Member
    Here's the issue I have
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @SK2000 and @glabelle69

It seems that you are having problems with opening your datafiles after a recent update.  In order to open your datafile in Quicken I suggest that - rather than clicking on the Quicken application icon - you should instead double click on the Quicken datafile - that is the file that ends with the extension ".qdf".  Once you do that, it should be easier for the application to find your datafile when you click on the application.

Let me know how that goes or if you have any followups,

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• glabelle69
    glabelle69 Member
    I am not opening, there was an old file there and I have removed it. The backup directory was created by Quicken in the past an is empty. If I try to create a new file in a different folder it works but not the original folder.
  • SK2000
    SK2000 Member
    Dear Jasmine,
    The attached screen shot is what I see on my desk top. Although I click file > New Quicken File > Name file, nothing happen...
    Regards,
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24
    Hi @SK2000

Can you locate your Quicken datafile on your computer?  It ends with ".qdf" so search your computer for files ending with .qdf (or just put *.qdf in the search field.

If the search returns more than one file - find the one with the most recent date and "double click" on that.  It should open your latest Quicken datafile.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @glabelle69, Your graphic indicates that a TEST.QDF wasn't found.  Could there be other QDF files in that Q sub-folder?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • SK2000
    SK2000 Member
    Hi Frankx,

Thank you.
    I searched file by *.pdf in my computer, but any file cannot be found.

I have found that when I create a new file, ***.dat file is created.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @sk2000, @Frankx asked about QDF ... not PDF.  Or was your latest reply a typo?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
This discussion has been closed.