Why are debits and credits reversed with Truist VISA?

When I do a one-step update from Truist my VISA transactions are reversed. The debits are listed a credits and vice versa. I saw a thread on this exact issue on the Mac version posted in November of last year. There was no solution mentioned and the thread was closed. I contacted Quicken support and of course they said it's the banks fault. I contacted the bank and was told it was a Quicken issue. So, both sided are pointing fingers at the other and the user is left in the middle without a resolution. Can anyone help me with this?

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I will bring this topic to the attention of the moderators to see if they can jump in and help.  According to the current fidir.txt "Truist" is using the funky EWC method of downloading and if the problem is that Truist somehow messed with the screens where the purchases and payments are show and didn't tell Quicken, then Quicken needs to adjust their script that captures this information.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Just to make sure that you're stating the problem correctly, are you saying that purchases are being entered in the "Payment" column and payments to the credit card are entered in the "Charge" column? 
    Or are you saying, in effect, "purchases are reducing the balance in the Account and payments are increasing the balance in the Account."?
    If it's the latter, look at the color of the number in the "Balance" column of the Account.  Normally it's red indicating that "you owe" but if it's black that indicates "you're owed."  This condition can be created by a large return or refund, or overpaying the credit card company.  When "you're owed" money (black) then purchases reduce the amount you're owed and payments do the exact opposite.
    It looks like Truist uses the somewhat unreliable and error-prone downloading method of Express Web Connect, (it's free to them), a situation where Quicken must write a program, (usually called a "script"), to go to the Truist site and attempt to find the needed information on the screens associated with the user's account.  If a financial institution uses EWC then they're supposed to tell Quicken if they change their screens, but sometimes they don't.  If the problem really is as I stated in my first sentence, then only Quicken can fix it, by re-writing their script.  In that case, go back to Quicken support, screen share, and show them the problem.
  • noradog
    noradog Member
    Since around 3/13/22-3/14/22 my daily reconciliation for the Truist credit card is messed up. The transactions downloads are revered. Payments show up as charges and charges show up as payments. Is there a way to just restore that one account and not do a whole file restore? I assume this has something to do with Truist updating their system.
  • Steve Williams
    Steve Williams Member ✭✭
    edited March 20
    Tom, thank you for your response. Purchases are being entered in the "Payment" column and payments to the credit card are entered in the "Charge" column. I have tried several updates and each time the same number of transactions are downloaded going back several days. All of these transactions have already been entered into the register correctly. That is to say, these are duplicate transactions but the charge and payment amounts are reversed. Based on your explination above, Quicken should be the one to fix this but when I called the support number I am told it is a problem with the bank. I will contact Quicken again and ask them to initiate a screen share as you suggested.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20
    Comment removed:  Info no longer relevant after posts were merged. 
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • pbureau
    pbureau Member ✭✭
    I am having the exact same issue! My account is still on Direct Connect with the BBT connection point to Truist. I update daily and with each update it brings over a different batch of charges and puts them in the payment column. At first I started deleting the incorrect line posts, but they would come back. Now I am zeroing out the amount of the incorrect posted line and leaving it reconciled. Today it only brought in one transaction like this and it was from January.

This all started for me last week too! Help!
  • Mike Mandeville
    Mike Mandeville Member ✭✭
    I too am having this exact same problem. It looks like it started last week as everyone else indicated. When I do a DirectConnect, it brings in old reconciled charges, but brings them in as a payment. I transferred funds TO the Credit Card and that just showed up as a CHARGE instead of a PAYMENT. It doesn't seem to be affecting the savings and checking accounts ... just my Truist VISA.
  • Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    I will bring this topic to the attention of the moderators to see if they can jump in and help.  According to the current fidir.txt "Truist" is using the funky EWC method of downloading and if the problem is that Truist somehow messed with the screens where the purchases and payments are show and didn't tell Quicken, then Quicken needs to adjust their script that captures this information.
  • lijMichael
    lijMichael Member ✭✭
    I just tried the ACCOUNT RESET and it did not work. While doing the reset I was on the phone with Truist about this issue as I was told last week that it is a known issue to them. Hopefully it will be corrected soon.
    Quicken for Windows Home, Business, Rental Property, fully updated.
  • Barb B
    Barb B Member
    I am also having this problem. Everything was normal before my Feb 23 download and update. As of Feb 23, all my credit card entries are reversed; i.e., charges are reflected as payments and payments are reflected as charges. Trying to get help from Truist is impossible. Wait times are timeless, and "technicians" are useless; just get passed around from queue to queue with horrendous wait times with each transfer.

I see one previous post that this is a known problem with Truist. Do they have the expertise to solve the issue? Is it more of a Truist issue or a Quicken issue?
  • gcp721
    gcp721 Member
    I am also having this problem with Truist Visa. I cannot find any discussions of a solution. Am I missing something?
  • Heb111
    Heb111 Member ✭✭
    And I'll add my voice to this. Reversals started on March 7, 2022 for me. All credit card charges showing as payments in the register... and payments showing as charges.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited March 27
    Hello @all

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

I have forwarded this information to the proper channels. In the meantime, we are asking that you please send your information logs over to Quicken to aid in the investigation. You can submit your logs by going to Help>Report a Problem. 

Enjoy your Sunday!
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • J Dixon
    J Dixon Member
    I am having the same problem with Truist Visas as commented above and have talked to both Quicken and Truist with no resulution.
  • lijMichael
    lijMichael Member ✭✭
    4/02/2022 4:40pm
    I just talked with the Truist financial software help desk and was told that there is to be a fix applied for this problem on 4/4. Let's keep our collective fingers crossed that a fix is near. They also confirmed that all transactions since the problem started should be downloaded as corrected.
  • Steve Williams
    Steve Williams Member ✭✭
    It appears that Truist has missed their deadline. I am still downloading junk data.
  • lijMichael
    lijMichael Member ✭✭
    Steve Williams - Yes on Monday I too downloaded junk transactions, however today 4/5/22 nothing downloaded.
  • george0901
    george0901 Member ✭✭
    edited April 7
    After 6+ HOURS on phone with Quicken in 3 installments in which they had me totally [Removed - Language] my old Quicken and files (records since before 1999) and set up a whole new Quicken; I still get junk on my Credit card download from Truist. I am beyond frustrated. Final line yesterday (after two and a half hours) -- set up all accounts with Direct connect and set up only Credit Card with Web express and download separately. The amount I have lost is incalculable.

Every Quicken operator after hours goes "Oh look there is an issue with Truist" even though I have tried repeatedly to explain.

Then everything gets synced to the Quicken cloud even though we have turned it off. Last comment was "it's not supposed to do that"

When asked if Quicken will inform me when the issue is fixed--I was told no--just keep trying to download. SMH

No clue what to do next.
  • Steve Williams
    Steve Williams Member ✭✭
    Does anyone have a projected date when this situation will be corrected?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a projected date when this situation will be corrected?
    IF such a thing existed, and I doubt it because this appears to be a Truist error, then Q wouldn't announce such.  They NEVER pre-announce the content of bug fixes.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • jc196400
    jc196400 Member
    I am having the same issue and it started March 13th. Called Quicken and after hour on the phone they said it was a known issue with Truist and should be fix in a week, nut as we can see as of April 9th still a problem. We the customers need not be in the middle, but we are. This is causing too much an issue for people. I am going to call Truist and see it I can get some answers. I feel Truist is the issue, because before they did the final switch over form BBT it was all working fine.
  • george0901
    george0901 Member ✭✭
    Update on my issue--After the multiple hours with quicken, dumping my old Quicken and restarting from scratch--(which I believe didn't have to be done) I have had to split my credit card from my other Truist accounts. My Credit card is on Truist Bank using Web connect and downloading properly. My other accounts are on Truist Online Banking using direct connect and working properly. This of course now requires two separate updates.

When Quicken fixed the issue, I then began to get log in errors with Truist Online banking which I was told by Quicken was not an issue and it was updating correctly. In checking with my bank web site-it was not.

Call to Truist resulted in being told there are specific steps that must be followed which require you to be going into both Truist and Quicken back and forth to register Quicken with Truist. This may be specific to my problem since Quicken had me dump my old Quicken. Quicken never had me do the second step. There is actually a time limit for accomplishing this. After walking me through the steps--my direct connect is now working properly with no error messages. I still have download my credit card separately which leads to other issues in regards to paying it.

Truist said they had received a memo that the whole issue had been corrected on April 4th, I informed them that as of April 7th it was not on my account when I was working with Quicken.

I do not know if this helps anyone, but I would like to know if Quicken has produced a fix, will they let us know to update the program.
  • Heb111
    Heb111 Member ✭✭
    Can we get some kind of update on fixing this issue?????
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Heb111 said:
    Can we get some kind of update on fixing this issue?????

That would have to come from Truist.  They broke it, they're the ones to fix it.
  • Heb111
    Heb111 Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > That would have to come from Truist.  They broke it, they're the ones to fix it.

Of course. And Truist will say it's a Quicken issue.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Bank's Lie.  They ALWAYS claim that it's a Quicken issue ... even when we've proven that the bank screwed it up.  See @lijMichael's reply of 4/2
  • paula w
    paula w Member
    This has just recently started to show up. Anyone else having the same problem?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
  • Heb111
    Heb111 Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > Know issue, and Truist error. See https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20255094#Comment_20255094

That's a link back to this same thread. I just tried again and transactions are still reversed.

While we wait for a fix, has anyone come up with a good way to fix the bad transactions already downloaded into Quicken registers?
  • Steve Williams
    Steve Williams Member ✭✭
    I started this thread on March 19 and have been patiently waiting for the bank to correct the error. The last time I talked to customer support I was told I must delete my VISA card from my account and start a separate account using just the VISA card. The person on the help desk had no idea how to go about doing this. Most recently, in addition to the VISA card issue, I can't download transaction from my checking and savings accounts. I get different error messages each time I try. Am I the only one or are others of you experiencing the same thing?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @Steve Williams What error codes or messages are you getting re: those other accounts?