Entering Bought Treasury Bills

Today I entered into my Windows PC Quicken program two T-Bills that I purchased at auction in two different accounts. The entries seem completely correct, but the daily "Gain/Loss" column shown in the Portfolio window was increased by the total amount paid for the two bonds. This never happened to me in the past.

Each account contained cash which was properly debited. The total amount in the "Market Value" column are correct and everything else still seems in order. Has anybody else seen this? Can it be remedied to show the correct daily change in values in the Portfolio window?

Comments

  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically what you're saying that the basis for the T-bills, in Quicken, is $0.  Look at the Holdings window in each Account to confirm, (though I'd think the Portfolio View would also show this since "Cost Basis" is also included there.)
    Certainly the first thing to try is to delete your entries and re-key them.  If that doesn't work the next thing to try is a file Validate & Repair.
  • Dennis Goldstein
    Dennis Goldstein Member ✭✭
    The basis is correct. I did run Validate and Repair, but that didn't help. I went back and looked at my accounts some years back when I last bought TBills and see that the same thing happened; I just hadn't noticed it.

    It's bizarre, but the only thing that is incorrect is the daily gain/loss on that one day. I guess I'll have to live with that.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I just tried a test purchase of a T-Bill in a test file and I'm seeing the exact same thing!  Bizarre!
    It seems to be a defect associated with the "BuyBond" action.  I've bought bonds in the past but didn't have this issue because I always used a straight "Buy" action. 
This discussion has been closed.