Investment Transaction Download option on the Investment Transaction Display for Mac OS version

I put in a request to Quicken to add an option to current Investment Transaction Display in Quicken for the MacOS to download the displayed information to a CSV or Excel file in addition to the current print option. The resulting download would be very similar to the Investment Transaction report that is currently available in the Premier version of Quicken for Windows.
2 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @boytomaui I've never used the Quicken Windows version, so could you clarify what you mean by the "Investment Transaction Display"? Do you mean the transaction register in an investment account? If so, the good news is that you can already export from a register to a CSV file.

First, select (highlight) the transactions you want to export, if you don't want the entire transaction register . Then pull down the File menu to Export, and select "register Transactions to CSV File" from the popup menu. Then select either "All Visible Transactions" or "Selected Transactions Only" from the next window. Click Next, enter a file name for the export file, and your transactions will be exported. If this isn't what you're looking for, please describe what you're seeking. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • boytomaui
    boytomaui Member
    :) The only problem with the Investment Transaction Display for the Mac is that the investment activity on sales transactions reports the sales proceeds and not the cost of the investment. I have to report that deficiency to Quicken Support
  • boytomaui
    boytomaui Member
    You are correct. I am new to the Mac version, so I did not realize that the file export would work on the register. But the amounts displayed in the resulting register and on screen are the proceeds from a transaction and not the cost of the shares sold. In the Windows version of Quicken, the cost of the sales transaction is displayed so that the sum of the investment activity equals the basis of the investment in the particular account.
  • jacobs
    When you look at an individual Sell transaction, you're correct that it shows you the proceeds of the sale. I don't really understand how Quicken Windows could show the cost basis of a sale and not the proceeds of the sale; it' the proceeds amount which affects the cash balance of the account.  

In Quicken Mac, there are a few ways to look at sales transactions if you're interested in seeing the cost and/or the gain/loss. One is to use the Tax Schedule report. Set it for one or all your Brokerage accounts, and set the category to show only Investments:Realized/Gain Loss. The resulting report will show your long term capital gains, with columns for the security, date acquired, date sold, proceeds, cost basis, and gain/loss. Does that achieve what you're seeking? 
  • boytomaui
    boytomaui Member
    Please close this item. The display registers in both Mac and Windows versions report the sales proceeds in the investment column, which is incorrect. The Investment Transaction Report in Quicken for Windows correctly reports the cost basis of the transaction in the investment column of the report and the sales valve in the cash column (gain/loss realized plus cost basis). Wish the transaction report could be reproduced in the Mac Version.
  • jacobs
    boytomaui said:
    Wish the transaction report could be reproduced in the Mac Version.
    @boytomaui Did you try the Tax Schedule report as I mentioned above? I guess I'm not understanding what you're asking for which isn't shown in the gain/loss portion of this report:

No, this information isn't all shown in the transaction register, but you can nonetheless get a report of your gains/losses.
  • boytomaui
    boytomaui Member
    Thanks, I will try that.
  • boytomaui
    boytomaui Member
    I tested the report and it works as you indicated. I can use that with a spreadsheet to track transactions in mutual funds that are on an Average Cost rather than a FIFO cost basis that Q for Mac uses.