One Step Update does not accept my Vault password unless the program is open?

If I update when Quicken is open it will accept my password. If I have missed an automatic update and it requests my password with quicken closed, I get an error message that the password does not match.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    rfinkel said:
    If I update when Quicken is open it will accept my password. If I have missed an automatic update and it requests my password with quicken closed, I get an error message that the password does not match.
    Hello @rfinkel

I am sorry to hear about this issue with passwords and updates. Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community about these difficulties.

Are you being prompted for passwords or authentication codes every time you initiate a One Step Update? Is this affecting one particular account or financial institution? Also, are you able to update your accounts successfully? I look forward to your response as I will require some additional information in order to be of assistance.

I await any reply you may be able to provide.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • rfinkel
    rfinkel Member
    I am being prompted for the vault password. It affects updating all accounts. I am able to successfully update my accounts if Quicken is open.
    If I click one step update>all account it requests the vault password and it works fine. If for example, I had quicken open when the automatic one step update should have run and then I close quicken it asks if I want to run the update. I say yes and it requests the vault password. When I input the password, I get a message that it doesn't match the match.
  • Quicken Jared
    rfinkel said:
    I am being prompted for the vault password. It affects updating all accounts. I am able to successfully update my accounts if Quicken is open.
    If I click one step update>all account it requests the vault password and it works fine. If for example, I had quicken open when the automatic one step update should have run and then I close quicken it asks if I want to run the update. I say yes and it requests the vault password. When I input the password, I get a message that it doesn't match the match.
    Hello @rfinkel

Thanks for providing additional background information and for answering those questions. I am sorry that this issue is still ongoing, at the moment.

I do have one additional question: where is your current active data file located? You can find the file location by going to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure that the data file is being stored locally on your computer and not in an external hard drive or cloud-based storage service.

I hope to hear back from you soon, if you should have the opportunity to check back in with us here on the Quicken Community. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • rfinkel
    rfinkel Member
    the data file is stored locally on my hard drive
  • Quicken Jared
    rfinkel said:
    the data file is stored locally on my hard drive
    @rfinkel

Thank you for getting back to me and providing further information. I am sorry that the issue is continuing. 

Be sure to save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Next, try validating the data file by following the steps listed below:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Go to Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I look forward to hearing additional updates from you after this has been attempted.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • rfinkel
    rfinkel Member
    I validated teh file but the problem still exists.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @rfinkel,

Thank you for your response, though I do apologize that this issue is still occurring for you. 

Next, I suggest attempting to Super-Validate your main file. Below are instructions on how to do this:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • rfinkel
    rfinkel Member
    Super-validate completed...problem still exists
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been known corruption issues with the Password Vault that a Validate or Super Validate does not resolve. While it is a pain, deleting all vault passwords and starting over can correct. Close Quicken and reopen. From here, you can reenter the passwords and see if this resolves the issue.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 11 Pro version 21H2
  • rfinkel
    rfinkel Member
    The passwords in the vault all work perfectly. I can update if I start it manually and enter the vault password. However, when it runs scheduled updates it asks for the vault password (never used to do that) and when I enter the vault password it tells me it doesn't match my password.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rfinkel said: If I update when Quicken is open it will accept my password. If I have missed an automatic update and it requests my password with quicken closed, I get an error message that the password does not match.
    just to clarify terminology.... getting confused with "update" and "automatic update"  and "quicken closed"
    It works fine when you have started Quicken as normal - and run One Step Update with the Vault Password -
    but does not for the "scheduled" feature of running Quicken & One Step Update - entering the Vault Password...

QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
This discussion has been closed.