R39.23 wiped out password vault. Restore from previous backup doesn't bring it back.

R39.23 wiped out password vault. Restore from previous backup doesn't bring it back.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    bdbaddog said:
    Hello bdbaddog, 

I am sorry to hear about this issue with the password vault. Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community in regards to this problem.

When you say that the Password Vault has been 'wiped out,' do you mean that the menu option for the vault is also gone, or that there are no passwords within the vault? Typically, you can enter the Password Vault by going to the Tools dropdown menu in the top of the screen.

What happens when you try to add a password to the vault? You can do this by navigating to Tools > Password Vault then by clicking Add or Edit Passwords...

Lastly, I want to know where the current active data file is located. You can check this by going to File > Show this file on my computer... in the menu mentioned previously.

I look forward to your response and hope to assist you in this matter in the future via this discussion, if necessary. 

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    I had this same problem a few months ago.  I restored a backup, and the password vault also was gone from that (like you experienced).  Quicken and the vault had been fine in the intervening days since that backup was made, so I believed the backup file was good when it was created, and it was damaged when I opened it to restore my data.  If my analysis was right then I risked damaging all my backups in succession if I kept trying to restore with each earlier backup.  

To be safe, and since my most recent backup also apparently had been damaged, I made a copy of the second-most-recent backup, and did a restore from that copy.  All was then OK.  I don't know if my fear of damaging my backups was well-founded, but it seems like a good idea to copy a backup before trying to restore, if a Quicken bug is suspected.
  • Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31
    Responding to @Quicken Jared ...

In my case, the Vault remained accessible through the menu, but there was nothing at all in it.  Wiped completely clean.  This occurred the first time I opened Q after a software patch had been installed - I don't recall which patch it was.

Before I solved the problem as described above, I reported the issue via "Report a Problem" and asked for help.  The "help" was direction to restore from my most recent backup, when then got damaged as mentioned above.  At that point, I figured I was on my own.  Then I copied the second backup and was able to restore.  I have had no further issues with the Vault  - several months now.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    Responding to @Quicken Jared ...

In my case, the Vault remained accessible through the menu, but there was nothing at all in it.  Wiped completely clean.  This occurred the first time I opened Q after a software patch had been installed - I don't recall which patch it was.

Before I solved the problem as described above, I reported the issue via "Report a Problem" and asked for help.  The "help" was direction to restore from my most recent backup, when then got damaged as mentioned above.  At that point, I figured I was on my own.  Then I copied the second backup and was able to restore.  I have had no further issues with the Vault  - several months now.
    @Ray Cosner,     

Thank you for providing your own experience with this situation as well as a path to resolution. I do apologize for the distress this problem caused, although I am happy that everything seems to be functioning normally, now.

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
  • Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    My previous incident occurred in July 2021 following installation of R34.24.  it was discussed in: One Step Update is Not Working — Quicken
This discussion has been closed.