Unsolicited Text and Email Messages - Quicken $1.00 charge on Paypal or CC

Lynn S
Lynn S Member
edited April 1 in The Water Cooler
I think this discussion was started but I couldn't find it in your LONG list of discussions.
I received at about 4 am this morning an email from Paypal saying I had authorized a payment of $1 to Quicken. This seemed phishy to me so I sent back a message saying I did not authorize it. Then later today I got a text message supposedly from Quicken asking me to verify my phone number. Also seemed phishy, but this time I did some online research and determined that both messages were legit. It would have saved me some time, effort and sleep if Quicken had warned us it was going to do this, particularly in this day and age of scams!

PS - there also was NOT a category listed for this topic!

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has come up in other discussions -
    usually near your Renewal Date -
    and Quicken is testing if the CC listed is still valid for charging your yearly renewal..

QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I fully appreciate your apprehension over whether they were legit, but would it have been any better if you had gotten an email from "Quicken" warning you of the CC hit that could also have been spoofed.
    The only thing that you can trust these days is something that you initiate to a destination that you know is valid.
    Too often, users google "quicken support" and call the first one in the list which is probably a sham group trying to exploit a gullible user into paying an astronomical fee to help them when real Quicken support is free.
    I guess Quicken could warn you of this when you do a One Step Update when you are near renewal time, but then that wouldn't work for those users that update Quicken only 4 or 5 times a year. 
    Lots of things could be done, but unless you can be sure of the source, it looks suspicious.
    Just today, I got a phone call from my mail order pharmacy needing some information, I refused to give it and called the company directly and found out that it was legit, but since the caller could provide no proof it was legit and "couldn't" provide me anything unless I could verify who I was, it was a standoff, call terminated.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    splasher said: Just today, I got a phone call from my mail order pharmacy needing some information, I refused to give it and called the company directly and found out that it was legit, but since the caller could provide no proof it was legit and "couldn't" provide me anything unless I could verify who I was, it was a standoff, call terminated.
    I've had that standoff with medical billing...
    Also - even with the Caller ID - if sent - it too, can be spoofed.... so - nothing is real in the matrix -

QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10