Lost QDF file

In short, I have lost my latest QDF quicken file. I did not delete it or my account, I looked on all my drives, I have 3. I can view and open back up files from 2019 and earlier, but no backup file for 2022. I have run a windows recovery, but no luck. When I open quicken and enter my password, the latest file that opens is from 2019.

I have NEVER seen this happen before on any other app, but it did happen on my quicken 2017 in 2019. I guess that is why I can see the 2019 backups.

I have been using Quicken since 2011 and really liked the program, but since Intuit left, I see many problems, but since I have over 10 years of data I hesitate to use another app.

I HOPE someone out there gives me a solution, I really don't want to start from scratch a second time.

Thanks,
Joe

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Q data files have an extension .QDF, while backups are .QDF-backup.  Did you do a Win search for the correct names?  Did you try FILE, Open Quicken File and FILE, Restore from Backup?  What happened with those actions?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    JVM46 said:
    In short, I have lost my latest QDF quicken file. I did not delete it or my account, I looked on all my drives, I have 3. I can view and open back up files from 2019 and earlier, but no backup file for 2022. I have run a windows recovery, but no luck. When I open quicken and enter my password, the latest file that opens is from 2019.

I have NEVER seen this happen before on any other app, but it did happen on my quicken 2017 in 2019. I guess that is why I can see the 2019 backups.

I have been using Quicken since 2011 and really liked the program, but since Intuit left, I see many problems, but since I have over 10 years of data I hesitate to use another app.

I HOPE someone out there gives me a solution, I really don't want to start from scratch a second time.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Hello @JVM46,

I am sorry to hear about this issue with a disappearing QDF file. Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community regarding this matter.

Just so I am clear: what version of Quicken are you currently using? You should be able to check this by going to Help > About Quicken... in the upper menu at the top of the screen.

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • JVM46
    JVM46 Member
    I am running Quicken 2017
  • JVM46
    JVM46 Member
    I have searched .QDF-backup and still no results. The results I do get are backups of my data files from 2019.
    If I choose restore from backup, it asks me to point to the back up I want restored and that is always the older file.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4
    Try going back to basics. Open up a CMD window and type
    cd \
    dir /a /s *.qdf*
    That will find all Quicken data and backup files on the drive, even in the recycle bin.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • JVM46
    JVM46 Member
    Thanks for your input but it did not find my latest file. I am at the point of just starting from scratch again.
  • JVM46
    JVM46 Member
    I also get a message that the system cannot find the path specified
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you happen to Refresh or Reset your PC?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • JVM46
    JVM46 Member
    No I left it on overnight and it all occurred in the morning
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you restarted your computer? Are there any other files missing? Documents, pictures...?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try going back to basics. Open up a CMD window and type
    cd \
    dir /a /s *.qdf*
    That will find all Quicken data and backup files on the drive, even in the recycle bin.

JVM46 said:
    I also get a message that the system cannot find the path specified
    I noticed this morning that the forum had corrupted my previous post, putting it all on one line, like this:
    cd \dir /a /s *.qdf*
    That will definitely get you a "cannot find the path" error. Try it again as two separate lines. The CD command on one line, then the DIR command on the next line.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
This discussion has been closed.