Truist - Direct Connect

Anyone else having problems with Truist?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    Anyone else having problems with Truist?
    Hello @[email protected]

I am sorry to hear about these issues with Truist. Thank you for bringing this trouble before the Quicken Community for discussion and assistance.

In order to be of assistance, I will require some additional information. When did these issues begin? What kind of problems are occurring? Are you seeing an error message when trying to update your account(s), and if so, what kind? Lastly, I want to confirm that you are making use of the Direct Connect connection method. You can check this anytime by going to Tools > Account List in the upper menu at the top of the screen and clicking on the Edit button across from one of the affected accounts. You should be able to see the connection method once you then click on Online Services.

I look forward to your reply, should you have the opportunity to drop back in and follow up with us once more.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • JGwill
    JGwill Member
    Right after SunTrust transitioned to Truist, I was informed by a Truist tech that my connection method had to be changed to Express Web Connect in order to dowload my daily transactions to Quicken. After changing to Express Web Connect I was unable to pay bill through Quicken. I spoke to a Quicken support tech and he told me I needed to use Direct Connect to pay my bills through Quicken as I was accustomed to, or use the Bill Manager function, which I can't get to work either. I spoke to the bank tech again and we've been trying to change back to Direct Connect, but have had no success. Can you please help?
  • Quicken Jared
    JGwill said:
    Right after SunTrust transitioned to Truist, I was informed by a Truist tech that my connection method had to be changed to Express Web Connect in order to dowload my daily transactions to Quicken. After changing to Express Web Connect I was unable to pay bill through Quicken. I spoke to a Quicken support tech and he told me I needed to use Direct Connect to pay my bills through Quicken as I was accustomed to, or use the Bill Manager function, which I can't get to work either. I spoke to the bank tech again and we've been trying to change back to Direct Connect, but have had no success. Can you please help?
    Hello @JGwill

I am sorry to hear that these issues with account connections are affecting you as well. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community. 

You are trying to change your connection method to Direct Connect, is that correct? Which Financial Institution 'instance' are you selecting from the list in Quicken when you try to connect your account? Ordinarily, one would be able to change their connection method by Tools > Account List in the upper menu at the top of the screen. You would then click the Edit button in the row across from one of your affected accounts, and navigate to the Online Services tab in the window that appears. Provided that Direct Connect is offered by your financial institution through the instance selected in the list, you should be able to find a Change Connection Method option here.

Please note that it may also be necessary to deactivate your account from online banking services by first saving a backup via the File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen and then returning to the Online Services tab mentioned previously. You would then select Deactivate Account. You would then click Set Up Now and click on Advanced Options when this button appears in the prompts that follow, selecting Direct Connect from the list if it is available. 

You can read more about this in the article linked here.

I hope that is helpful.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • QB4ME
    QB4ME Member
    Thanks for the post Jared. I'm also a former Suntrust bank customer and I've tried to make this happen with Truist and the issue seems to be that there is no way to hook an existing Quicken file to the Truist Direct Connect service. Their process to enable Direct Connect with Quicken works just fine if you start up a NEW Quicken file; however, changing an existing Quicken file (mine is over 21 years old and full of transaction history) from Express Web Connect to Direct Connect just doesn't seem to be an option. It defaults to Express Web Connect and you do not get any user configuration panels to request direct connect on the existing file.

For everyone else's benefit, I've tried deactivating and reactivating the online banking configuration multiple times and NEVER get presented with the 'advanced' button that Jared describes above where I can select Direct Connect. Once you go through the reactivation process, the page immediately asks for your Truist account/password to authenticate *without any options to determine which type of connection you prefer* to use. Once the authentication process completes, then Quicken correctly lines up the Quicken account with the Truist account to link--but again, no option for determining how you would like to connect with the account, and then links them up with Express Web Connect. Same result if you use the "reset" button instead of "deactivate." Ugh.

After working it across several days and many hours, Truist has said that they are escalating the request to figure out how to do this with their technical support team, but based on the others posts in here and on the Truist site, I'm not optimistic. Which means that I'm probably at a place where I either have to switch to a bank that will allow me to connect my existing Quicken file with direct connect or stay with Truist and try to use Quicken Bill Manager like others have indicated. That's not my preference since it costs an additional $10/month with Quicken, but I don't really feel like I have a lot of choices right now. If I do have to switch methods, I'll definitely be switching banks too. After over 40 years with the same institutional linage of M&As of Virginia National Bank all the way through Suntrust and now Truist, if I'm going to have to take on the pain of doing things differently, they are certainly not going to benefit. :-)

If there is a registry hack or other method of bypassing the Truist bank "OLBNumber" file hook on their website that they can figure out for us existing Quicken users; or if there is a simple method to merge my prior 21-year old Quicken file with the new/start from scratch Quicken file that will work with Truist Direct Connect, then please let me know how to do that safely without corrupting my data and reports and maybe there is a backhanded "Quicken" win in this situation after all. Is there a way to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat or am I fated to just more turmoil?
  • Quicken Jared
    QB4ME said:
    Thanks for the post Jared. I'm also a former Suntrust bank customer and I've tried to make this happen with Truist and the issue seems to be that there is no way to hook an existing Quicken file to the Truist Direct Connect service. Their process to enable Direct Connect with Quicken works just fine if you start up a NEW Quicken file; however, changing an existing Quicken file (mine is over 21 years old and full of transaction history) from Express Web Connect to Direct Connect just doesn't seem to be an option. It defaults to Express Web Connect and you do not get any user configuration panels to request direct connect on the existing file.

For everyone else's benefit, I've tried deactivating and reactivating the online banking configuration multiple times and NEVER get presented with the 'advanced' button that Jared describes above where I can select Direct Connect. Once you go through the reactivation process, the page immediately asks for your Truist account/password to authenticate *without any options to determine which type of connection you prefer* to use. Once the authentication process completes, then Quicken correctly lines up the Quicken account with the Truist account to link--but again, no option for determining how you would like to connect with the account, and then links them up with Express Web Connect. Same result if you use the "reset" button instead of "deactivate." Ugh.

After working it across several days and many hours, Truist has said that they are escalating the request to figure out how to do this with their technical support team, but based on the others posts in here and on the Truist site, I'm not optimistic. Which means that I'm probably at a place where I either have to switch to a bank that will allow me to connect my existing Quicken file with direct connect or stay with Truist and try to use Quicken Bill Manager like others have indicated. That's not my preference since it costs an additional $10/month with Quicken, but I don't really feel like I have a lot of choices right now. If I do have to switch methods, I'll definitely be switching banks too. After over 40 years with the same institutional linage of M&As of Virginia National Bank all the way through Suntrust and now Truist, if I'm going to have to take on the pain of doing things differently, they are certainly not going to benefit. :-)

If there is a registry hack or other method of bypassing the Truist bank "OLBNumber" file hook on their website that they can figure out for us existing Quicken users; or if there is a simple method to merge my prior 21-year old Quicken file with the new/start from scratch Quicken file that will work with Truist Direct Connect, then please let me know how to do that safely without corrupting my data and reports and maybe there is a backhanded "Quicken" win in this situation after all. Is there a way to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat or am I fated to just more turmoil?
    Hello @QB4ME

I am sorry to hear that this issue has affected you, as well. Thank you for providing me with so much information about your own experience and additional background about the problem.

When you go to the Add Account button denoted by the '+' icon in the upper left-hand side of the screen and go through the steps of selecting your financial institution and entering your credentials, you should come to a screen that displays all of your accounts with the chosen institution, like the one featured below:

Are you able to select Link to existing account when this option appears? I am wondering if you can try to reconnect your accounts in this way.

I look forward to hearing your reply.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • QB4ME
    QB4ME Member
    Yes, when I go through the process, I get the pull down to "link to existing account." I then hit "Next" and Quicken communicates with Truist and then comes back with the account setup for Express Web Connect. What seems to be missing is an option to tell Quicken to try to connect to Truist over the Direct Connect service--it just happens automatically with no options.

When you go to setup a *new* account, then you get the opportunity to selection "Advanced" and pick Direct Connect as one of your methods.

Do you know if that is a limitation of the Quicken interface in the current release when you have an existing account or is that panel dynamically created based on the settings of the Truist Online Banking portal site? Just trying to figure out where the UI would have to be corrected in order to give customers the ability to change their connection type on an existing account.
  • Quicken Jared
    QB4ME said:
    Yes, when I go through the process, I get the pull down to "link to existing account." I then hit "Next" and Quicken communicates with Truist and then comes back with the account setup for Express Web Connect. What seems to be missing is an option to tell Quicken to try to connect to Truist over the Direct Connect service--it just happens automatically with no options.

When you go to setup a *new* account, then you get the opportunity to selection "Advanced" and pick Direct Connect as one of your methods.

Do you know if that is a limitation of the Quicken interface in the current release when you have an existing account or is that panel dynamically created based on the settings of the Truist Online Banking portal site? Just trying to figure out where the UI would have to be corrected in order to give customers the ability to change their connection type on an existing account.
    @QB4ME,       

I do apologize that the resolution continues to be elusive, at the moment. Thank you for continuing to provide me with further information about the problem. 

I am grateful for everything you have been explaining about what is happening, but I have an additional question. When you are attempting to link an account via the method we have been discussing, do you see this screen just before you get to the one featured in the screenshot in my previous comment:

Or do you see one more like this?

I am eager to hear the answer, if you have the chance to check back in with me about this. I do appreciate your responses thus far. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

This discussion has been closed.