New negative balance appeared in an account that has been closed for years.

Recently a new negative balance appeared in an account that has been closed for years. This negative balance matches a large transfer performed between two other accounts and appeared on/about the same date as the valid transfer. I tried deleting/reentering the valid transfer to see if they were somewhat connected to no avail. The closed account's transaction history does not show anything unusual (there are only about 30 transactions in this closed account) What's going on?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current Quicken file with the running balance of the account register from a Quicken file backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.
  • f1684
    f1684 Member
    This was a good idea. Using Print Register for the closed account, I found a XOut transaction which matches the negative balance on the offending account. This XOut transaction is dated the same as the valid transfer mentioned in my earlier post so there is clearly something in common here. The question remains, how do I delete the offending XOut transaction that doesn't show up in the closed accounts register? Of course there's also the question about how this transaction ended up in a closed account to begin with. Your thoughts are still very welcome.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4
    That XOut is a transfer to/from some other account, as shown in that transactions Category field.  So, where did it go?  Or come from?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
This discussion has been closed.