Printing Checks

I'm using Quicken Premier with Windows 10. Is anyone in a similar environment able to print complete checks using Quicken? I was able to do this in the past but was just told that Quicken currently can only use checks that are pre-printed with account information and signature

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken has never been able to print "complete" checks on blank check stock.
    You must purchase compatible checks, which will be pre-printed with your name, address, routing number, and account number (but not signature).
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4
    Expanding the prior reply ... I doubt that your printer has Magnetic Ink, and any banks that attempt to process such checks will REALLY DISLIKE you when they attempt to process that "Magnetic Ink Character Recognition" line on the bottom of your checks.  Your bank might even charge you for the additional handling of such and/or close your account.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Don Carr
    Don Carr Member
    I have been using Quicken software 20+ years now and prior to going to subscription it was possible to print complete checks that were cleared without issue. I am currently using online check writer for this purpose without issue, but this requires manually entering in to Quicken. Thank you for your replies
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Q has NEVER been able to print on otherwise blank stock.  It only prints that which would otherwise be hand written. 
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5
    Don Carr said:
    I have been using Quicken software 20+ years now and prior to going to subscription it was possible to print complete checks that were cleared without issue. I am currently using online check writer for this purpose without issue, but this requires manually entering in to Quicken. Thank you for your replies
    There used to be companies like Avanquest and/or others who used a virtual printer interface to intercept your print request from Quicken and convert it to a format compatible with your blank check stock. They all said that you would need to use a special magnetic ink/toner cartridge to print these checks, to avoid complications with the banks check processing systems.
    So, the software that you use, does it provide such a virtual printer for the purpose of printing from the current version of Quicken, Quickbooks or other accounting systems?
    If not, and assuming that your existing check stock is "Quicken compatible", pre-print all your available blank check stock with the boiler plate information (your address, bank information, MICR line without the amount, etc.). You can now use these checks with Quicken directly, selecting the appropriate check style (Wallet (Check 21), Standard or Voucher).

This discussion has been closed.