What is a Dataset? and why does it matter how many I have used?

What is a Dataset?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The full name of "dataset" is Quicken Cloud dataset. Every Quicken Id has a Quicken Cloud dataset associated with it.  It is where Quicken stores various information on their servers what features you are using.

As for why it matters.  From what I have heard, if you do a restore from a backup, they "unlink" the dataset that the Quicken Id is using and create a new one.  But they have some kind of legal obligation to "not delete user data", and as such the dataset that isn't associated with your Quicken Id anymore is still kept.  And they have chosen some kind of limit on how many of these you can have.

From what I have seen, other bugs can cause the same kind of thing where it reports this error.  I'm not sure in these cases if the reporting of the error is just flagged for some other reason or if it is actually creating more datasets.

At any rate the only people that can delete datasets (which will hopefully fix the problem) is Quicken Support:
    Contact Quicken Support
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5
    A dataset is a collection of data.  A Quicken file is a dataset.  

At least since Quicken 2017, every Quicken file we open should have a dataset in the Quicken Cloud (aka cloud account).  When we restore a Quicken file and choose to overwrite the current Quicken file, Quicken should reset the cloud account.  When we restore a Quicken file and choose create a copy, Quicken should create a new cloud account.  If we open a copy of a Quicken file, Quicken should create a new cloud account.

If you're receiving an error message indicating you've exceeded the maximum number of datasets, I suggest you contact Quicken Support: select Help > Contact Quicken Support
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Treefarmer105 said:  What is a Dataset?
    why are you asking ?  Really can't answer the question without some background as to why you are asking ?

QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • Treefarmer105
    Treefarmer105 Member
    I get a dropbox telling me I have used too many.
    so?.....?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    So, this is a message from Dropbox?  What Q files are you storing there?  Why is this a Q issue?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get a dropbox telling me I have used too many.
    so?.....?
     I suggest you contact Quicken Support: select Help > Contact Quicken Support
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    So, this is a message from Dropbox?  What Q files are you storing there?  Why is this a Q issue?
    I don't think @Treefarmer105 was talking about "Dropbox" the service, but instead just trying to describe the message box that Quicken uses for reporting this error.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Treefarmer105
    Treefarmer105 Member
    I have NO idea
  • Treefarmer105
    Treefarmer105 Member
    Finally got to Support. They want me to Purchase some upgrade.40%off
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6
    Finally got to Support. They want me to Purchase some upgrade.40%off
    I'm flagging your post to get the attention of a moderator.  Quicken Support should not be asking you to buy anything to resolve this issue.
This discussion has been closed.