Is anyone else having problems with reconciliation/One Step update on R39.23?

txlxk
txlxk Member ✭✭
Since the R39.23 install, most of my accounts don't reconcile properly, and sometimes they are reconciling to a timeframe about a week in the past. Additionally, for many accounts, the items are left in Cleared status, not Reconciled status.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are you reconciling to the online balance?
    The Online Balance date isn't always accurate, especially for Express Web Connect accounts.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • txlxk
    txlxk Member ✭✭
    It's was supposed to use the auto-reconcile feature, which hasn't worked correctly in this release.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Auto-reconcile is basically just fire off the reconcile after the transactions are put in the register.  As such, it is "reconciling to the online balance".  If the online balance amount/date isn't updated properly you will get what you are describing.  Unfortunately, there isn't any way the user can fix this.  The workaround is to change to reconciling "to the statement" (even if that is just looking at the current balance on the financial institution's website.

Note it almost certainly has nothing to do with what release of Quicken you are using, and everything to do with changes in what is downloaded.

If you turn off reconciling to the online balance by going to the Account Details -> Online Services tab -> deselect Reconcile using online balance, and then do Ctrl+R to start the reconcile, it will show you what amount and date it is reconciling to:

To report problems in the downloading of the online balance report it using: Help -> Report a problem
    Signature:
  • txlxk
    txlxk Member ✭✭
    Chris, doing as you suggested may be giving a clue. As of right now (4/7/22 @ 12:21am CDT), the Capital One account I'm looking at says 'Balance as of 3/9/2022'. Since Cap One has its own funky way of connecting, I checked one of my Citi accounts. Same - 'Balance as of 3/9/2022'. So, one step update right now is downloading TRANSACTIONS, but it is not retrieving the online balance from, well, just about all of my accounts. So, yes, "if the online amount/date isn't updated properly" I get the behavior. So, it's probably more accurately stated that since I installed R39.23 it has stopped retrieving the online balances, because prior to that release it was doing this properly, at least for most of my accounts. It also has the odd behavior of saying 'no transactions to reconcile' when clearly, there are. So I will take your advice and report a problem. :)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    txlxk said:
    It also has the odd behavior of saying 'no transactions to reconcile' when clearly, there are. So I will take your advice and report a problem. :)
    That isn't an "odd behavior", that is exactly what is should do.  Any transaction with a download posting date past the ending date (in this case the online balance date) isn't included in a reconcile.

FAQ: How does Quicken determine which transactions qualify for a reconcile? — Quicken
    Signature:
  • txlxk
    txlxk Member ✭✭
    Ok, Chris, yes, technically that is correct. However, as noted, one step update is failing to retrieve the new online balances - and that has been true for nearly all of my accounts since March 9, 2022.

HOWEVER, and I post this for the benefit of others who may be having the same issue, if I download the same account MANUALLY from the bank or credit card's website, it DOES download the updated online balance and then reconcile works as expected. I am going to see if one-step update then picks up and runs correctly, but it will take a few days for me for there to be enough activity in my accounts to validate that. I hope it does because with nearly 40 accounts to track, manually downloading each one is a painstaking task. (There aren't 40 separate downloads, but it's a bundle nonetheless)

Unfortunately, since Quicken has seen fit to only accept chat/phone during the daytime (when I'm rarely available), I've not had the opportunity to speak with them about it. I'd love to drop a ticket in their drop box overnight, but...

Thank you for being a sounding board on the issue; I feel like I'm closer to a solution than I was before I started.
  • txlxk
    txlxk Member ✭✭
    Just as an FYI, One-Step update does NOT pick back up once an account has been downloaded.

Auto Reconcile ONLY works correctly when account data is manually downloaded.
  • StuartG
    StuartG Member ✭✭
    I have 3 accounts that no longer update the correct on-line balance, but continue to pull in new transactions. One account stopped updating 6 months ago (resets and account delete/re-add don't help), the other accounts became broken just in the last month. All of these worked fine for years. Quicken seems to be not taking any action on this issue.