What is the "Action" box in "Edit all instances..." dialog box

Options
Quicken on a Mac (latest), click the Bills & Income, then Payees.  On the right are circles with dots inside.  Click that and then click "Edit all instances".  At the bottom is a "twisty" which opens up to show "tags", "memo", and "action".  What can I put into the action box?

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The Action field is a column that can be displayed in the register. To display the column in a register, click menu View > Columns. The Action field is just another place you can put some info of really whatever type you want. It is sometimes filled in by downloads with words like DEBIT, CREDIT, etc. However, other than some text in the field, it has no function or relation to other fields. 

If you click menu Window > Actions you will see a list of the Actions that have been used in your file and you can edit, delete or add new actions. 

Personally, I use it to record the method of payment for certain transaction. For example, in my credit card that's tied to PayPal, I put "PayPal" in the Action field when the charge was processed using PayPal. I do the same for "ApplePay", "AmazonPay", etc. It's simply a place to put this info instead of adding it to the transaction memo. It gives you the ability to search the register while restricting the search to this field. 

Bottom line: you can use if for whatever suits your fancy, or not at all.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The Action field is a column that can be displayed in the register. To display the column in a register, click menu View > Columns. The Action field is just another place you can put some info of really whatever type you want. It is sometimes filled in by downloads with words like DEBIT, CREDIT, etc. However, other than some text in the field, it has no function or relation to other fields. 

If you click menu Window > Actions you will see a list of the Actions that have been used in your file and you can edit, delete or add new actions. 

Personally, I use it to record the method of payment for certain transaction. For example, in my credit card that's tied to PayPal, I put "PayPal" in the Action field when the charge was processed using PayPal. I do the same for "ApplePay", "AmazonPay", etc. It's simply a place to put this info instead of adding it to the transaction memo. It gives you the ability to search the register while restricting the search to this field. 

Bottom line: you can use if for whatever suits your fancy, or not at all.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.