Possible bug with Bill Reminders that are supposed to happen once every two months

Kuj
Kuj Member
Quicken seems to be entering these reminders into my account registers every month instead on once every other month. The creation of these kinds of reminders also seems to happen in a very different way. You have to create this as a "Monthly" reminder and then add that this is once every two months.
Tagged:

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I too have a bill that is once every two months, and after years of struggling with this exact problem I just gave up.  The bug has been reported a few times over the years, but never fixed.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does editing the bill reminder and clicking "change" and then setting the period to "2 months" not work for you?

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is strange that an every other month reminder is not working properly. I have had my EBMUD (water) bill reminder set up and working properly since 2000. 
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7
    Here's an interesting twist. If you hold down Shift while clicking "Edit this instance and all future instances", you get the little-known "Who, When, How" dialog. That dialog has an explicit "Every two months" setting. Who knew?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8
    @mshiggins I've loved the acronym for "East Bay MUD" ever since I lived in Walnut Creek in 1981-82.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7
    NotACPA said:
    Why does editing the bill reminder and clicking "change" and then setting the period to "2 months" not work for you?

Setting it up as a reminder isn't the problem (at least not for me).

The problem is that even though it is setup for every two months the reminder shows up every month.

mshiggins said:
    That is strange that an every other month reminder is not working properly. I have had my EBMUD (water) bill reminder set up and working properly since 2000. 
    Most likely the reason this working for you, but not for me or @Kuj, is because this is a Quicken Subscription only bug they introduced a few years ago.  You are using Quicken 2017 which doesn't have this bug.

BTW mine is my water bill too.  :)
    Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Chris_QPW said:
    Most likely the reason this working for you, but not for me or @Kuj, is because this is a Quicken Subscription only bug they introduced a few years ago.  You are using Quicken 2017 which doesn't have this bug.

BTW mine is my water bill too.  :)
    I'm running subscription and my water bill reminder properly executes every 2 months. Try the dialog I show above and maybe that will clear out your water (bill) blockage.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I have never seen that dialog before.  Mine came up with this:

I changed it to this like you suggested.  Hopefully that will fix it:

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Where are my manners!  Thank you, @Rocket J Squirrel
    Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited April 8
    Chris_QPW said:
    Where are my manners!  Thank you, @Rocket J Squirrel
    Haha, thank me if it works. This dialog is pretty obscure and is probably just a different GUI onto the same reminder settings. Like @mshiggins, I'm surprised your bimonthly reminder doesn't work because ours has always worked.
    I do like the "Who, When, How" dialog better than the regular one because all the info is visible and modifiable together without having to click through to sub-dialogs.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering why that didn't just switch to the new one, but then I reasoned that it might be because it is so big and not resizable.  Which of course might cause problems for some people.  At least I sort of hope they have some reasonable reason for having both.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I realized I can "speed up time".  I set my system date to the date it was due this month and entered it.  Closed Quicken and set the date to the next month and it wasn't there.  Set the show reminders to 90 days and it shows up in the next month just like it should.

So, it looks like that did fix it.  Thanks!
    Signature:
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    @volvogirl I've loved the acronym for "East Bay MUD" ever since I lived in Walnut Creek in 1981-82.
    I know we look just alike, but it was me, not @volvogirl .

Walnut Creek is my home town, by the way. 
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!
    It makes me wonder why the "Who, When, How" dialog is not made the default "Edit this and all other ..." process.
    It makes me wonder even more if we're ever going to see the requested new reminder frequencies as discussed here.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
    NotACPA said:
    @volvogirl I've loved the acronym for "East Bay MUD" ever since I lived in Walnut Creek in 1981-82.
    I know we look just alike, but it was me, not @volvogirl .

Walnut Creek is my home town, by the way. 

I've corrected that brain fart.  Sorry for the mis-attribution.  My current wife and I were out in CA in 2019 and I took her by the WC rental and the Twin Peaks condo I bought in 1982.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Chris_QPW said:
    Wow, I have never seen that dialog before.
    UKR said:
    Wow!
    It makes me wonder why the "Who, When, How" dialog is not made the default "Edit this and all other ..." process.
    It just goes to show there's so much hidden stuff in Quicken it pays to Shift-click, Ctrl-click, Ctrl-Shift-Click, and sometimes even Ctrl-F3-Click everywhere to find it all.
    Chris_QPW said:
    I was wondering why that didn't just switch to the new one,
    I learned of this dialog from @Sherlock, who called it the "old" one. Perhaps he can shed some light on the history.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8
    Chris_QPW said:
    Wow, I have never seen that dialog before.
    UKR said:
    Wow!
    It just goes to show there's so much hidden stuff in Quicken it pays to Shift-click, Ctrl-click, Ctrl-Shift-Click, and sometimes even Ctrl-F3-Click everywhere to find it all.
    Chris_QPW said:
    I was wondering why that didn't just switch to the new one,
    I learned of this dialog from @Sherlock, who called it the "old" one. Perhaps he can shed some light on the history.
    My recollection is the Who, When, How form predates the compact form being used today.  I suspect some users complained about it's complexity.  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    To me it looks "new", the old dialogs never had a "help" (which BTW I feel should be able to be hidden).

Here is what it looked like in Quicken 2004.

Here is what it looked like in Quicken 2013.

Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    To me it looks "new", the old dialogs never had a "help" (which BTW I feel should be able to be hidden).

Here is what it looked like in Quicken 2004.

Here is what it looked like in Quicken 2013.

Did you press the Shift key?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, this are the standard ones.  But I thought that was the point.  That at one point that one where you do Shift was the "old standard one".
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8
    P.S. Quicken 2013 (and below) didn't have the showing the reminder in the register feature.  I tried Shift on this one, and nothing comes up:

Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8
    Chris_QPW said:
    Nope, this are the standard ones.  But I thought that was the point.  That at one point that one where you do Shift was the "old standard one".
    That wasn't my point.  My recollection goes further back than Quicken 2004. 

I've used the Who, When, How form for many years so I certainly wouldn't describe the dialog as new.  I've always suspected someone significant at Intuit/Quicken must like the functionality for it to continue to exist.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    P.S. Quicken 2013 (and below) didn't have the showing the reminder in the register feature.  I tried Shift on this one, and nothing comes up:

As @Rocket J Squirrel said when he showed the "Who, When, How" dialog for the first time:
    If you hold down Shift while clicking "Edit this instance and all future instances", you get the little-known "Who, When, How" dialog.
    Click Edit first then, in the popup, Shift-click ...
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    Chris_QPW said:

As @Rocket J Squirrel said when he showed the "Who, When, How" dialog for the first time:
    If you hold down Shift while clicking "Edit this instance and all future instances", you get the little-known "Who, When, How" dialog.
    Click Edit first then, in the popup, Shift-click ...
    Oops, yes did the magic sequence in the wrong place.

Quicken 2013's dialog (with Shift).

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW on this comment:
    Sherlock said:
    Chris_QPW said:
    I've always suspected someone significant at Intuit/Quicken must like the functionality for it to continue to exist.
    My guess would be that they simply forgot about it being there.  Yes, at the start it was probably left in and hidden for "someone significant at Intuit", but over time my bet is because it is a hidden feature, they just forgot about it.  It isn't that hard in a program like Quicken with so many features and dialogs the developers wouldn't even see it very often and when they come across it, just dismiss it as not important to worry about.
    Signature:
  • Kuj
    Kuj Member
    Thanks to those who pointed out the not obvious work-around to the problem I was experiencing. I have applied the changes needed to my settings and will wait to see if the function works as it should.
This discussion has been closed.