Wells Fargo DIRECT CONNECT

Jerry Pederson
Jerry Pederson Member ✭✭✭
I believe I have tried correctly to connect to Wells Fargo on a "direct connect" basis.  Even used the Wells Fargo.com/fmssetup portal. 

Can someone give me what I must do to get connected to Wells on a Direct Connect basis?

A "direct connect" connection is needed to use bill pay via Quicken

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited April 7
    Hello @Jerry Pederson,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

To set up Direct Connect in Quicken for Wells Fargo; first, deactivate any existing accounts currently connect with Wells Fargo via Express Web Connect.

Then, sign in to www.wellsfargo.com/fmssetup and follow the prompts to authorize Direct Connect on their end first (I believe they give you 10 mins to connect in Quicken afterward). After that, navigate to Tools > Add Account..., search for and select Wells Fargo Bank in our financial institution list and click Advanced Options on the right. Then, select Direct Connect and hit Next to proceed to the sign-in screen. Once your account(s) have been found, be sure to link them to the existing account(s) you have already set up in Quicken.

I hope this helps!
    -Quicken Anja
  • Jerry Pederson
    I have tried this procedure before and again just now.  It still does not allow me to connect via Direct connect.  Frustrating!!!
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for following up.

Could you please elaborate and provide further details on what exactly happens when you attempt to follow this process? Do you receive any specific error code(s) and/or message(s) while trying to connect that you could provide us with here, please? 

Thank you!
    -Quicken Anja
  • Jerry Pederson
    1)  both wells accounts (checking and credit card) are deactivated
    2) I sign into Wellsfargo.com/fmssetup
    3) On Quicken, I sign in using the "direct connect" option and get the attached error message

I cannot get connected via direct connect, but can via express web connect.

I have talked with a Wells' representative and they step me through the same steps

• Quicken Anja
    Thank you for the additional details.

Next, I'd like to have you create a new (test) file to see if you experience the same issue in a new file as well. 

Follow the steps below to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    2. Select New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    3. Click OK.
    4. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to easily be able to tell it apart from your main file. Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for WindowsDon't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.
    5. Sign in with your Quicken ID (if prompted). If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 
    6. Select to not use Mobile (if prompted).
    7. Click Add Account to try adding the Wells Fargo account(s) using the Direct Connect instructions previously provided.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problem in this test file. From there, you can then switch back to your original file. 

Follow the steps below to switch files:

1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
  • Jerry Pederson
    If the new file works and I'm able to get a "Direct Connect" with Wells Fargo in the NEW FILE does that mean all the other accounts and data (there is a lot) will have to be moved from the OLD FILE to the NEW FILE?

If the NEW FILE works does that mean the OLD FILE is corrupt?
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for trying that and confirming the results with me. 

This does indicate that there is an issue going on in the original file that's blocking it from connecting. However, there are a few things we can try before resorting to moving forward with the new file.

First, do you have a recent backup you can restore? To start with, I suggest restoring a backup file to see if the same issue occurs in the restored file or if it will allow you to connect. If needed, please, review this support article. Scroll down and open the blue dropdown section(s) titled Restore Quicken data and/or Restore an automatic backup for instructions on how to restore a backup.

Let us know how it goes!
    -Quicken Anja
  • Jerry Pederson
    I back Quicken 2/3 times a week.  However, I have had this problem for the last 2/3 months, so I do not have a relatively current file to restore that would not have the apparent problem the current file has.
  • Quicken Anja
    Okay, thank you for informing me of that. In that case, then I suggest you try to "force" Quicken to "re-discover" all available accounts and see if this will help resolve it. Please, follow the instructions below in order to do so.
    1. Open the Account List in Quicken (Tools > Account List OR Ctrl + A)
    2. If present, select the Show Hidden Accounts checkbox at the bottom of the Account List
    3. Edit each account with this financial institution to Deactivate on the Online Services tab (skip this step if they are all already deactivated)
    4. Click on the General tab and remove any info displayed in the Financial Institution, and Account/Routing Number fields. Note: The account must be deactivated first before these fields can be edited.
    5. When finished, close the Account List
    6. Close, then re-open Quicken
    7. Click the Add Account button at the bottom of the Account Bar on your main view and go through the process previously provided of setting up Direct Connect with Wells Fargo and linking the accounts 
    Once that is done, see if the issue still continues to persist.
    -Quicken Anja
  • Jerry Pederson
    Unfortunately, this option did not work to allow and establish a "DIRECT CONNECT" with Wells Fargo.

I have "DIRECT CONNECT" with two other financial institutions and do have this problem with either one of them.  My wells accounts were activated several months ago on Quicken, but as I mentioned I have not been able to get connected to Wells via a DIRECT CONNECT.  This prevents me from using the Wells bill pay feature.

hopefully, you have another solution we can try and get DIRECT CONNECTED with Wells.

Let me know.  Thanks.

• Quicken Anja
    Thank you for following up again, I apologize that we haven't had success in your original file yet. There are 2 more different troubleshooting guidances I can think of that might work. Both of which I do recommend saving a backup of your data file first (just in case).

The first is to reset your cloud data, then sign out and back in of your data file to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. The second suggestion would be to create a copy of your data file to establish a new dataset ID and replace all the internal lists and database tables. However, the 2nd option, unfortunately, will take some more work so I'm hoping to avoid it and save it as a last resort.

To reset your cloud data, please navigate to Edit > Preferences... > Mobile & Web > Reset your cloud data. Once that's been completed, to sign out and back in, navigate to Edit > Preferences... > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts > Sign in as a different user.

Once you've signed back in, go ahead and follow the process to connect via Direct Connect again.
    -Quicken Anja
  • uscgal
    uscgal Member, Windows Beta Beta
    I am also having the same issue as the original poster.  I was hoping that I could find an "easy" solution.  Has the original poster had any success accessing Wells via Direct Connect?
  • Jerry Pederson
    This procedure did not solve the problem.  It seems that there S/B an easier way to get "Direct Connect" for Wells.  I do not have this problem with B of A or Chase