In what file does legacy Quicken store memorized transactions?

I've used Quicken for ~25 years, but still use legacy versions, currently Quicken 2003 Premier. I recently switched laptops to a Windows 10 OS and it seems to work fine except that my list of memorized transactions is missing - even though it says the transaction list is full and that I must delete several memorized transactions. But there's nothing to delete. I'm wondering whether I'm missing a file which stores the memorized transactions . Most likely none of you deal with such old software, but would anyone have a clue?

(Incidentally, 2-3 years ago I purchased Quicken Premier 2019, but my files would not successfully make even the first conversion to (I believe) the 2005 version in the 3 step process to reach 2019 compatibility.)

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    > "it says the transaction list is full"
    If your Quicken data file contains transactions for many years and you are still using Q 2003, there's a good possibility that you have reached the maximum number of transactions Q 2003 can handle within a data file.
    It may be necessary to split your data file in two, with the oldest transactions moved off to an "archive file" or, as the process is known in current versions, a "Year end copy file". See if there's a function in the File Menu called "Year End Copy" or if the File Menu has a Copy function which lets you specify a cutoff date (transactions dated before the cutoff date go into one file, transactions after cutoff date remain in the current data file)
    Be sure the create at least one good backup of your data file before you start working on this. Or work with a copy of the data file. If the process doesn't work as expected, you do want to be able to fall back and restore your data file to working order. Once split in two, there's no program available to put the pieces back together again.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No recollection, but you need the whole file set shown here.

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-data-file-set-extensions 
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, I suggest you apply the Quicken 2003 Release R3 Premier patch available at: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    > "it says the transaction list is full"
    If your Quicken data file contains transactions for many years and you are still using Q 2003, there's a good possibility that you have reached the maximum number of transactions Q 2003 can handle within a data file.
    It may be necessary to split your data file in two, with the oldest transactions moved off to an "archive file" or, as the process is known in current versions, a "Year end copy file". See if there's a function in the File Menu called "Year End Copy" or if the File Menu has a Copy function which lets you specify a cutoff date (transactions dated before the cutoff date go into one file, transactions after cutoff date remain in the current data file)
    Be sure the create at least one good backup of your data file before you start working on this. Or work with a copy of the data file. If the process doesn't work as expected, you do want to be able to fall back and restore your data file to working order. Once split in two, there's no program available to put the pieces back together again.
  • Long Timer
    Long Timer Member ✭✭
    From Rocket Squirrel's link I learned that I do have all of the required files. From Sherlock's suggestion, which sounds particularly helpful, I attempted to patch the file, but I was precluded from doing so by either of the two means suggested simply because my version did not offer those functions (or an obvious way to download patches). Strange, I know, but it is a very old version.
    I checked out UKR's suggestion and realized that though I am adding transactions, the overall size of my file is not increasing by even one byte. So, my file is full. (I'm curious to know what data is being deleted with each transaction I add, though.) In order to keep from having to set up all my accounts again, I plan on taking his suggestion by doing a file copy saving just a few years' worth of data in the new file. Thanks to all! This has been a learning experience and you each helped me see it from a different. but helpful perspective. I'm grateful.
This discussion has been closed.