quicken is corrupting my payees

Frisky070802
Frisky070802 Member ✭✭
A few days ago I became aware that Quicken had made a second payment to another payee in place of the check I had requested. Now I think I know when it's happening. I went to pay my property taxes, and when I entered the transaction, Quicken said it couldn't make the payment because it was a weekend -- but it also changed the payee to a different entry in my online payee list! I was about to send thousands of dollars to a random organization. How do I fix this? I already ran "repair" when I got into a mode where it said it wanted to enter payments from outside quicken but wouldn't advance when I clicked to continue. I'm assuming these bugs are related.

Quicken auto-updates, and forces me to have a subscription, instead of sticking to a single purchase that lasted well for many years. It may be time to give it up completely.

Comments

• Frisky070802
    Frisky070802 Member ✭✭
    PS I realize in looking at my transactions, each time it changed the name, it changed it to the _previous_ online payee I had sent money to.
  • nowashea
    nowashea Member
    I have a similar problem. When I download transactions from my bank, Quicken assigns those payments to another payee.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @Frisky070802 and @nowashea,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

In order to further isolate the error, I suggest creating a test file and adding a couple of accounts, and then initiating a One Step Update or downloading/adding some transactions to see if the same error occurs. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps in the event that you would like to return to your original starting position. Below are instructions on how to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response.
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • mikey
    mikey Member ✭✭
    @Frisky070802 this is happening to me as well. I'm pretty sure it started with the update to R40.13 quicken for windows.

In my case, the cause doesn't seem to have anything weekend or date related, but you are correct insofar as quicken appears to change the payee of the *previous* online bill payment transmitted. In addition, I noticed that quicken had linked this erroroneous payee to the online biller for the corrupted payment (in my case citibank credit card).

Guess I have to call my bank now and try to figure out which payee is actually gonna receive the payment.
  • mikey
    mikey Member ✭✭
    edited April 18
    Ugh. Called my bank to get info on the corrupted payment in question.

Since the transaction in question was scheduled for a future date and had not been transmitted (i.e. bank prints the check for mailing), when Quicken erroneously changed the payee name and I updated my online account, it changed the payment information on the bank's scheduled transaction.

Good thing I caught it or my credit card bill would not have been paid. Scary.
  • Frisky070802
    Frisky070802 Member ✭✭
    @quicken jasmine,

I hadn't replied to this because I wasn't sure whether and how I would do such a test. In thinking about it ... I just don't know how to do that. If I create a test account, and then link it to the same bank, and so on, I really worry about the consistency between the two files.

Isn't it good enough that multiple users are reporting the same bug? I buy @mikey's comment that it started after a recent update. Shockingly bad testing.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @Frisky070802 and @mikey,

Thank you for your responses. 

Are you using direct connect/bank bill pay with these accounts? What financial institution(s) are you experiencing this payee issue with?

Looking forward to hearing your response. 
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • mikey
    mikey Member ✭✭
    edited April 26
    @quicken jasmine, I am using direct connect with bank's bill pay. Like @Frisky070802 I wasn't sure how to test as you suggested since these are real accounts and my bank doesn't offer a test server for their bill pay system.
  • Frisky070802
    Frisky070802 Member ✭✭
    I too am using direct connect. I don't know that my institution is relevant and would prefer not to share it publicly...
  • mikey
    mikey Member ✭✭
    @Frisky070802 you make a good point. @quicken jasmine pls msg me directly if you need the institution info. i've edited the above to remove.

i have already paid numerous bills in the intervening days and attempted to repro the issue using the weekend date as suggested in the OP's initial post. no luck there.

i am, however, suspicious this is an online biller problem. the corrupted transaction in my case was setup using the online biller for my credit card, with the added wrinkle of a linked manual reminder from before that quicken feature existed.
  • Frisky070802
    Frisky070802 Member ✭✭
    Yeah, I really don't think it has anything to do with the bank. It is quicken that was presented with a request to send an online payment to payee X and silently switched it to payee Y before ever contacting the bank. I caught it the next time and changed it back. The bank had not been synched yet.

I can't say whether the change to payment date triggered it or if it was coincidence. I certainly did pay some other online payees without this bug hitting me.