Moving and renaming quicken data files

I restored Quicken data files that were backed - up approx 1 month ago. Quicken restored the file to the backup folder, instead of my main Quicken data folder and it retained the date of the backup in the newly restored filename. (I selected the option in Q backup to append the date to the filename for each backup I perform.)

Can I:
A) move the restored file to my primary Quicken data folder?
B) Rename the restored file to remove the backup date?

This seems like it should be simple question, except that years ago, a Quicken data file was not just one file, but rather a set of files. And quicken had a utility or menu option under File menu to move data files. I don't see that menu option anymore, and It LOOKS like they abandoned that needlessly complicated set of files and put everything into a single file. But I would appreciate confirmation before I start moving things.

Thanks!

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    You are correct.  Quicken now uses a single QDF data file instead of the multiple files that were used long ago.
    And, yes, you can do both...move the file to another folder and rename the file.  There's no special steps to take.  Just do those actions like you would do them for any other type of data file.
    After you have moved and renamed the file you can then open it by double clicking on the file in Windows Explorer or by browsing for it from within Quicken.  Quicken will remember the file name and location for future sessions.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R39.23 on Windows 10)
  • LeaningTower
    LeaningTower Member ✭✭
    Hi boatn...,

I was about to move my files and noticed the following files for each of my Quicken files:
    <filename>OFXLOG.DAT
    <filename>_SyncLog.dat

What are these? Do they need to be accessible in the same folder as the *.QDF files?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi boatn...,

I was about to move my files and noticed the following files for each of my Quicken files:
    <filename>OFXLOG.DAT
    <filename>_SyncLog.dat

What are these? Do they need to be accessible in the same folder as the *.QDF files?
    These are just log files used for troubleshooting downloading transactions and syncing (both for Sync to Mobile/Web and Express Web Connect).

You can move them, renaming them, or delete them as you see fit.
    They will get recreate in the same folder as your data file when you do a One Step Update.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10
    Hi boatn...,

<filename>OFXLOG.DAT
    <filename>_SyncLog.dat

Sorry, I should have mentioned those.  @ChrisChris_QPW is correct...you can do what you want with them.  When I move or rename my Quicken data files I usually just delete these two files.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R39.23 on Windows 10)
This discussion has been closed.