When is the online reconciliation issue for Express Web Connect going to be fixed??

rmosko
rmosko Member ✭✭
Currently subscribed to Quicken Deluxe, R29.23 on Windows 10

For about 12 months now, there has been a problem with online reconciliation for accounts set up to connect through Express Web Connect, in that when I attempt an online reconciliation, I get the message "There are no uncleared items to reconcile."
I understand that the issue is that the account balance as of date is no longer updating during the online update process, as it had for a number of years.
I understand that there is at least one "manual" workaround, such as the one that allows me to update the as of date for each affected account one at a time. But even excluding PayPal and PNC Virtual Wallet, which I've been told are problematic by themselves, I have 8 accounts that are affected by this.
And I understand that this is mostly an inconvenience compared to other problems.
I don't understand why it's still a problem after 12 months, and especially since I pay to
subscribe.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    rmosko said:
    Currently subscribed to Quicken Deluxe, R29.23 on Windows 10

For about 12 months now, there has been a problem with online reconciliation for accounts set up to connect through Express Web Connect, in that when I attempt an online reconciliation, I get the message "There are no uncleared items to reconcile."
    I understand that the issue is that the account balance as of date is no longer updating during the online update process, as it had for a number of years.
    I understand that there is at least one "manual" workaround, such as the one that allows me to update the as of date for each affected account one at a time. But even excluding PayPal and PNC Virtual Wallet, which I've been told are problematic by themselves, I have 8 accounts that are affected by this.
    And I understand that this is mostly an inconvenience compared to other problems.
    I don't understand why it's still a problem after 12 months, and especially since I pay to
    subscribe.
    Hello @rmosko,

I am sorry to hear about this issue with reconciling accounts. Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community about this problem.

I do have some additional questions about the situation. Are you noticing this problem across accounts associated with other financial institutions besides PayPal and PNC? Also, if there are any cases where you are not trying to reconcile to an online balance, are you having any trouble reconciling accounts with paper statements? It also sounds as though you are having trouble getting transactions to download or to update accounts, although I may have misunderstood. If so, are you noticing any error messages?

If multiple accounts with financial institutions other than the two mentioned in your comment are being affected, my first recommendation would be to try to restore from a backup by going to File > Restore a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Provided that backups are being saved regularly by going to the same menu and selecting Copy or Backup File... we should be able to determine whether or not symptoms continue after restoring a previously saved backup.

I am eager to hear your response.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method if available instead.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

As the Online Balance is unreliable, I suggest reconciling using a statement instead.

Note:  PNC added free support for the Direct Connect connection method to their Virtual Wallet accounts last year.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    To this day I still wonder if there is a generic problem or a problem that can only be solved one financial institution at a time.

I really wish Quicken Inc/Intuit would do a through investigation and report back to the Moderators/users which it is.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • rmosko
    rmosko Member ✭✭
    In response to Quicken Jared,
    1. As I mentioned, in my case the issue affects 8 accounts outside of PayPal and PNC Virtual Wallet. That includes 1 Capital One savings account, and the rest are store credit cards, such as Home Depot, Macy's, Kohl's, and Best Buy.
    2. For all of the affected accounts, I had no problem with online reconciliation prior to March 2021.
    3. All transactions download successfully for all of the accounts. It's when I attempt an online reconciliation, I get an error message ("There are no uncleared items to reconcile.")
    4. I do reconcile to paper statements in a sense. For each account, I now do my own manual reconciliation against online statements as needed. But see item 2 - in the past I did not need to do that for any of these accounts.
    5. Also, I recall reading something that indicated that once I switch to reconciling to paper statements, it's difficult to switch back to online reconciliation.
    6. FYI, in November 2021, working with Quicken Support, I went through the process of resetting the as of dates for the affected accounts. This took over an hour in all, as each account had to be reset individually. Anyway, that included backing up my Quicken file, and subsequently restoring the backup. The as of dates have remained the same since then.
    Thanks.

In response to Chris,
    1. I have tried, and for zero of the eight accounts is Direct Connect an available option.
    2. Web Connect does not appear to me to be any more convenient than what I am doing, and I'm thinking it would be less so.
  • rmosko
    rmosko Member ✭✭
    And thank you as well.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For #5.  I assume you are talking about this warning which is in the Help they post on reconciling.

I don't want to call it total garbage, but it is close to it.  They could at least state why they put up the warning.

If one knows what they are doing switching back and forth is trivial.  And in fact, if one isn't actually reconciling to the "literal statement", but instead is reconciling to the balance they see online, then there isn't any difference at all.

The only point of this warning is that if you are reconciling to the online balance, and you switch back to reconciling to the paper statement in the middle of the month then some of the transactions in the next paper statement will have already been marked reconciled and not show up in the reconcile.  Some people might find that confusing.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • rmosko
    rmosko Member ✭✭
    That all makes sense - thanks!

To address your other suggestion, this is a generic problem.

I would like to summarize the issue this way:

Online reconciliation for the Express Web Connect accounts provided a useful and convenient function for years. It worked for all of these accounts - like it still works for Direct Connect accounts - but it stopped working sometime early in 2021 when the balance as of date stopped updating, and it has never been fixed.

The fact that the result amounts to a loss of convenience is the reason that I hadn't taken the time to leave a detailed comment earlier, but that said, I'm paying for support.
This discussion has been closed.