quicken won't start and won't open my data file

cbs
cbs Member
The error: "Your system has blocked Quicken from accessing the following file(s)/folders(s):
c:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Intuit
Weirdly, that folder doesn't exist. I do have a xxx\roaming|quicken folder but there are no files/folders in that folder.
Spent hours with Quicken support with no resolution. I have uninstalled, reinstalled. Nothing seems to work.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10
    Please provide the version of Quicken being used: press the Ctrl key when you open Quicken and select Help > About Quicken

If Quicken will not open, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
  • cbs
    cbs Member
    yes, did all that, twice.

Weirdly, i createda new user on my windows 10 desktop. Not an admin, just a local user. And i can open the quicken file. And all the files in the appdata/roaming/quicken are present with this user
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    cbs said:
    yes, did all that, twice.

Weirdly, i createda new user on my windows 10 desktop. Not an admin, just a local user. And i can open the quicken file. And all the files in the appdata/roaming/quicken are present with this user
    You didn't provide the information requested.

What intrigued me was the reference to the Intuit folder.
  • cbs
    cbs Member
    Sorry the version is:
    Quicken Premier
    Version r39.23
    Build 27.1.39.23
    Windows 10 Enterprise
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    cbs said:
    Sorry the version is:
    Quicken Premier
    Version r39.23
    Build 27.1.39.23
    Windows 10 Enterprise
    I suspect the Windows 10 built-in Admin account may not support a roaming profile and, upon failing access, Quicken erroneously reports the Intuit folder.
  • cbs
    cbs Member
    So there is a AppData/roaming folder in the Admin account that many other programs use. I have used quicken on this windows computer forever. Not sure why all the sudden i got the error. I backup to the cloud daily. The appData/roaming/quicken folder looked normal/fine in March 2022
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    cbs said:
    So there is a AppData/roaming folder in the Admin account that many other programs use. I have used quicken on this windows computer forever. Not sure why all the sudden i got the error. I backup to the cloud daily. The appData/roaming/quicken folder looked normal/fine in March 2022
    A Quicken folder is expected but the message you originally posted called for an Intuit folder.

Have you always used the hidden built-in Admin account when running Quicken?

• cbs
    cbs Member
    yes, the Intuit folder is puzzling. Per Quicken support, years back, when installing quicken, Quicken would create an AppData/Roaming/Intuit folder. But when Quicken split up with Quickbooks and Intuit, the install program now creates a AppData/roaming/quicken folder.
    I was thinking that it may be something from the past so after one of the times this week that i uninstalled quicken, i went into my registry editor and deleted all instances of quicken.
    Still didn't help.
    I do also use Quickbooks but Quicken support didn't think that was the issue.
    I have created a folder an AppData/Roaming/Intuit with all the Quicken data, logs, config folders--didn't help
    And yes, i have only had one user on this windows computer, my admin account, which ran Quicken. I wouldn't call it "hidden", but yes, it is built-in
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    cbs said:
    yes, the Intuit folder is puzzling. Per Quicken support, years back, when installing quicken, Quicken would create an AppData/Roaming/Intuit folder. But when Quicken split up with Quickbooks and Intuit, the install program now creates a AppData/roaming/quicken folder.
    I was thinking that it may be something from the past so after one of the times this week that i uninstalled quicken, i went into my registry editor and deleted all instances of quicken.
    Still didn't help.
    I do also use Quickbooks but Quicken support didn't think that was the issue.
    I have created a folder an AppData/Roaming/Intuit with all the Quicken data, logs, config folders--didn't help
    And yes, i have only had one user on this windows computer, my admin account, which ran Quicken. I wouldn't call it "hidden", but yes, it is built-in
    By hidden, I meant disabled by default.  Since Vista and the introduction of UAC, the built-in Admin account has been disabled by default.  There may have been a recent Windows update that changed the Admin rights.
  • cbs
    cbs Member
    Sorry, I misled you. My admin account is not named that. It's my first name Claudia
    So the folder that the system is blocking is
    c:\users\Claudia\AppData\roaming\Intuit
This discussion has been closed.