Why doesn't Quicken fully maximize to the display screen - only does 98% ?!?

Quicken doesn't maximize to the display screen. It's 2021, why does this programming defect exist?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what you're referring to here.  Quicken uses all my screen's real estate both on my PC and my laptop.  In your Preferences are you using pop-up windows?
  • spratleywa
    spratleywa Member ✭✭
    Quicken sorta maximizes, about 98.7%. If you slide your mouse cursor to the left, top, right edges and click, then it switches to whatever application or the desktop behind it.

Relative to Quicken preferences, I do not see anything that controls how the Quicken application displays and/or settings for pop-up windows.

Anyway, this is a known issue that Intuit/Quicken has never resolved - https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7863933/maximized-qw-window-isnt-fully-maximized
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Quicken sorta maximizes, about 98.7%. If you slide your mouse cursor to the left, top, right edges and click, then it switches to whatever application or the desktop behind it."
    Odd...  I'm using my laptop right now and it's not displaying the behavior you describe.  It certainly seems to be something "local" to the machine you're using.
    "Relative to Quicken preferences, I do not see anything that controls how the Quicken application displays and/or settings for pop-up windows."
    Do Edit > Preferences > Setup > Automatically minimize pop-up windows.  I've never liked it, but it's there.
  • spratleywa
    spratleywa Member ✭✭
    Every computer I have ever used, laptop and desktop, Quicken performs the same. While I tried your guidance, it didn't change the performance of Quicken maximizing and it is not intended to.

Per Quicken help, Edit, Preferences, Setup, Automatically minimize pop-up windows is for internal Quicken functions vice the application as a whole - https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Setup+preferences

"When this box is checked, features that display in a Quicken pop-up window minimize when you click outside the pop-up area (for example, on a menu or on the Quicken Toolbar).

When this box is cleared you can display multiple pop-up windows (for example, side-by-side reports), and you must individually minimize each one."

An example of this setting is pull up a report or the holdings for an investment account. With it check, then that report or view of the holdings will minimize. Unchecked and they don't minimize. Just tested and the setting changed accordingly.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    Every computer I have ever used, laptop and desktop, Quicken performs the same. While I tried your guidance, it didn't change the performance of Quicken maximizing and it is not intended to.

Per Quicken help, Edit, Preferences, Setup, Automatically minimize pop-up windows is for internal Quicken functions vice the application as a whole - https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Setup+preferences

"When this box is checked, features that display in a Quicken pop-up window minimize when you click outside the pop-up area (for example, on a menu or on the Quicken Toolbar).

When this box is cleared you can display multiple pop-up windows (for example, side-by-side reports), and you must individually minimize each one."

An example of this setting is pull up a report or the holdings for an investment account. With it check, then that report or view of the holdings will minimize. Unchecked and they don't minimize. Just tested and the setting changed accordingly.
    Hello @spratleywa,         

I am sorry to hear about this problem with minimizing reports. Thank you for following up with us about this.

Would you be willing to provide screenshots of the behavior you are witnessing? I am unable to reproduce some of the behavior you are describing in regards to the application failing to maximize to the entirety of the computer screen. For reference, I will link a thread here regarding the process of submitting screenshots to the Quicken Community. 

Note that you can also drag and drop images into your comment before it has been uploaded. 

I hope to hear more from you about this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11
    spratleywa said: Quicken doesn't maximize to the display screen. It's 2021, why does this programming defect exist?
    BTW - its actually 2022 - you were 98% correct -
    What version ..... Help --> About Quicken
    What screen size resolution - I'm running a laptop with 1280x800 -
    and at MAX - there is no clickable border - Quicken is fully expanded.
    From the link to the other topic thread - the screen info is saved in the QUSER.INI file -
    C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\config\QUSER.INI
    and you can see it is technically missing 1 pixel -
    Running R38.30 - Win10 - and screen is 1280x800
    [Window]
    State=Maximized
    Width=1279 ---> vs 1280
    Height=759 ---> vs 800
    Left=1
    Top=1
    QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • spratleywa
    spratleywa Member ✭✭
    Ha!, thanks for the catch! Felt kinda sluggish. :-)

The various computers have been typically 1920 x 1080, but current is 3000 x 2000, but just tested it at 1200 x 800 and no change. Clicked the left edge and it switched to my desktop.

I don't believe this is a screen resolution issue, though.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I updated my previous posting with some details as per the older 2019 thread - yes - 1 pixel is missing -
    QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • spratleywa
    spratleywa Member ✭✭
    edited April 11
    @Quicken Jared, I don't have a problem with minimizing reports. I have a problem with Quicken truly maximizing to the display screen.

It's hard to screen shot clicking the Quicken "X" to close it, only to get too close to the corner and close the program behind it, instead. I'll see what I can do.
  • spratleywa
    spratleywa Member ✭✭
    edited April 11
    With Quicken maximized, if you look real close to the upper and left edges you'll see the blue and white colors from the application that is behind Quicken. In particular, look at the upper *lefthand* corner, next to the logo and the "File" menu option, the background cooler switches from blue to off white.

As @Ps56k2 indicates, it is just a pixel wide, but it is wide enough that clicking the edge results in switching to the background application.

*correction*
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This has been a bug for years.  It has been reported several times along with many other problems associated with using their "fake main window", but it just falls on deaf ears.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭
    Same issue here ever since moving to subscription Quicken, was never an issue in 2017.  Quite annoying since the quicken maximize/minimize/close icons don't line up with standard windows ones.  So often I'll try to minimize quicken and accidentally close a program that is in the background instead.  Same issue on several computers at different resolutions.  It simply does not take up the full screen, it can't truly be maximized.  Can one of the mods advise if this has been reported or there are any plans to fix it?
This discussion has been closed.