Quicken crashes when accessing an account with that has a recent transaction downloaded

I have 4 Schwab accounts in my Quicken database. Accessing one of these that has a pending transaction, causes Quicken to crash/exit. I've had three conversations with Quicken Support reps and the problem remains. It is my theory that there is a particular transaction that Quicken cannot handle properly. I suspect it is a "spinoff" transaction (from AT&T to Time Warner Discovery).

All of the standard steps have occurred. These include file verification, removing and reinstalling Quicken (including one time using the UIClean process), rebooting the computer; running SFC (system file checker) and CHKDSK, etc. The next to the last support rep told me that if the steps he/we had taken didn't fix the problem, I would need to create a new QDF file. This is a solution I rejected not just this time but in the past when support couldn't resolve an issue. I've have also heard about how Schwab made changes in its interface but again this is not relevant since I've been successfully running OneStep updates daily after Schwab made its changes.

In the meantime, I have managed to remove transaction download from the problem account using a backup copy. If I re-establish transaction transaction downloading, an attempt to access the account in question produces a crash and exit. This can be reproduced.

I have received various suggestions from Support that were not effective (and not appropriate) such as running Quicken from a file on my desktop and not in my OneDrive folder. An error/trouble report has been sent and until the situation is resolved, I'll enter transactions manually. There is also a case number: 9398246. I hoping someone else in the community has encountered a similar problem.

Comments

• Barry Berkov
    Barry Berkov Member ✭✭
    The most recent Quicken update fixed the problem I described and I notified Quicken support to close the case. Schwab has a special support group to deal with Quicken issues and they were pretty sure it was a Quicken issue. They reached out to their support contact at Quicken and that may have contributed to getting the problem fixed. Quicken support reps, however, need to stop telling customers that their files are corrupted when they cannot fix a problem and that the customer will need to create a new file. Creating a new file is rarely a good idea because you are likely to lose historical transactions. For anyone who does need to create a new file, it's best to laboriously create a QIF file for every account if you can still access the original. Otherwise you will likely get only the last 90 days of transactions when you add an account to a new file and enable transaction download.
This discussion has been closed.