My active Quicken file changed to one with version suffix R-37.67

gnazkwik
gnazkwik Member ✭✭
I've been using the same quicken QDF file for years thru multiple Quicken Windows versions. I noticed today that my Quicken window title and the file in the Quicken folder have changed to use a suffix. The old file is still there but has not been updated for over two months. I do not recall choosing to use the new file with the suffix, or why it was even created. Do I need to switch back to the old QDF file, or say goodbye and embrace the new one? If I switch back to the old one will I lose all the changes over the last two months.

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I suspect you opened or restored a Quicken file backup Quicken automatically saved prior to updating to a release from R37.67.  If this Quicken file is equivalent to the original Quicken file with the addition of over two months of transactions, I suggest you continue using the current Quicken file.  Note: You may rename Quicken files using Windows File Explorer.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I suspect you opened or restored a Quicken file backup Quicken automatically saved prior to updating to a release from R37.67.  If this Quicken file is equivalent to the original Quicken file with the addition of over two months of transactions, I suggest you continue using the current Quicken file.  Note: You may rename Quicken files using Windows File Explorer.
  • gnazkwik
    gnazkwik Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your response @Sherlock. I've always used the File menu to open a recent file, never from Explorer, so there's no way I could've chosen it. This might be a new "feature"? I don't want to lose my recent transactions so I will continue using this and try renaming. Hopefully the next release doesn't reset the file.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    gnazkwik said:
    Thanks for your response @Sherlock. I've always used the File menu to open a recent file, never from Explorer, so there's no way I could've chosen it. This might be a new "feature"? I don't want to lose my recent transactions so I will continue using this and try renaming. Hopefully the next release doesn't reset the file.
    There are many ways you may have opened or restored the Quicken file backup from within Quicken.  This is not a new feature.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14
    gnazkwik said: I've always used the File menu to open a recent file...
    Quicken always just auto-opens the "most recent" file - so why were you even using the File Menu ?
    And the naming syntax of the R-37.67 is from Quicken creating a "backup" file when a new Quicken version is discovered for downloading... BUT - it is a "backup" and not an active QDF file - so again, nothing Quicken did would open this file.
    - What is the path name to your QDF file - C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Quicken\   ?
    - What is the folder for your Quicken backups - C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP\

QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • gnazkwik
    gnazkwik Member ✭✭
    @Ps56k2 Those file paths are correct. The reason I use the File menu is to switch between different files I have for personal, business, investments, etc. But prior to this year none of them had a version suffix in the name.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    gnazkwik said: Those file paths are correct.
    You might make sure and review the File Open recent list and see WHERE the files are located -
    and that you are NOT opening a file from your \BACKUP\ folder

QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
This discussion has been closed.