Quicken has started to alter the opening balance on its own

I have discover al least 6 accounts were Quicken just alter the opening balance on its own. 5 of them with negative numbers!!! 

The transaction where 20 years old and already reconsolidated. I had to go as far as January 5, 2022 to find a version that was not altered. 

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the Release Notes, this issue is fixed in an upcoming release.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Jim_Harman Would it be prudent and okay to download when it comes out, or would you recommend waiting a while to see if it won't create other problems?
    Quicken Windows Deluxe Subscription R40.21
     Only function used is register function and reports. NO, other Quicken functions or Sync being used. :*
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gamal Mustafa
    Are you accounts where the opening balance was changed with Schwab? That is what they say is fixed.

@TTSguy
    The new release is R40.13. You can read the release notes here
    https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Unless they mention an issue that you are experiencing, I would wait and see if issues are reported.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Gamal Mustafa
    Gamal Mustafa Member ✭✭✭
    The affected accounts were from Baxter Credit Union (BCU), the others i don’t remember.

the opening amount just change. In one instance I notice that the amount change by .04 sent in January… and then on March that amount increase… the rest of the account had negative numbers. 

I am not sure if there are more changes. Those were obvios because it change the initial deposit that I usually have set to 0.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    The affected accounts were from Baxter Credit Union (BCU), the others i don’t remember.

the opening amount just change. In one instance I notice that the amount change by .04 sent in January… and then on March that amount increase… the rest of the account had negative numbers. 

I am not sure if there are more changes. Those were obvios because it change the initial deposit that I usually have set to 0.
    Hello @Gamal Mustafa,   

I am sorry to hear about these problems with account downloads. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community.

How many accounts are being affected, and when did this issue begin? Also, can you confirm which financial institutions are associated with these accounts? It would also be extremely beneficial to us in our efforts to assist you if we could have the connection method(s) being used to link these accounts to online banking services. You may check this by going to Tools > Account List in the upper menu at the top of the screen and clicking the Edit button in the row connected to each affected account. You may then navigate to the Online Services tab to find the connection method listed in the Online Setup callout box. 

I am eager to hear your responses, and I intend to continue working with you on this, here in this discussion thread.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Gamal Mustafa
    Gamal Mustafa Member ✭✭✭
    I just noticed this this week.
    but as started going back in the back up to find one without a problem I notice the first time it happens was on the first week of January. It was just positive .04 in a money market account from BCU… 

Then at some point between April 10 and April 15 the initial opening on several accounts from BCU change to negative. 

from 3 different  BCU account.

2 individual account and a joint account. Each account have separate saving, money market and checking account and some got affected on each account.

All use Express Web Connect 

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17
    This is not a recent issue.  The change in the opening balance is a long time lingering issue and it happens sporadically after an account reset or deactivate/reactivation and mostly with Express Web Connect connections.  There are many reports of this issue on this community on a monthly basis where the amount of change varies from pennies to $100'sK.  Unfortunately there is no fix [yet] to prevent this from happening again (this is not related to Schwab), but rather a tip to manage it easier.
    TIP:
    * Using one of your backup files, note the correct opening balances for every account.
    * Enter the value in the "memo" field of the opening balance transaction in every account.
    * In the rare event of a future reactivation, review the opening balances by cross checking what you have in the memo field and what it is shown in the balance column, and edit/correct the balance column if needed.

ADDING: Here is a result of a search on this community for "Opening Balance" so you can review what other users have done:
    https://community.quicken.com/search?query=opening balance&page=5&scope=site&source=community
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Gamal Mustafa
    Gamal Mustafa Member ✭✭✭
    yet again. Another account that the Opening Balance got changed from 0 to over $10,000! This is not fixed!