My brokerage accounts at JPM are sonly showing added and removed shares, not transactions. How do i

May JPM brokerage accounts are only showing added and removed shares and not individual transactions. How do i fix this?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like your accounts are or were set up for Simple Investing.  With Simple Investing there are no individual transactions....only add/remove shares...and it shows only holdings and market value.  There is no register and instead the view looks something like this.  Is this what you have seen?:
    If you want to see individual transactions you need to have your accounts set up for Complete Investing.  But it can be somewhat complex to change the accounts from Simple to Complete or it can be rather easy...depends on your history of these accounts in your Quicken file.  If you would answer the following questions I can provide some guidance as to what would be perhaps the best option for you to get Complete Investing set up.
    • Did you just set up these accounts? 
    • Or were these accounts set up previously?
    • If they were set up previously, were they set up for Simple Investing or Complete Investing?
    • Which version of Quicken are you running (you can get this information from Help > About Quicken)?
    (QW Premier Subscription: R39.23 on Windows 10)
  • maryanngray
    maryanngray Member
    Thanks for the response. The accounts were set up several years ago. I did change them to "simple" just to check it out, but found that I prefer "complete", especially because the numbers in the "simple" version were incorrect. I used the "edit account features" option to change back to "complete", but after downloading nothing changed. I have version R39.23, build 27.1.39.23.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited April 18
    Simple mode does not download transactions...except for Add and Remove Shares.  Simple mode only shows total holdings (securities and number of shares of each) and market value.
    When switching from Complete to Simple and then doing OSU, no new investment transactions will download...only Add/Remove Shares.  Then later if you switch back to Complete and run OSU, all the transactions that previously did not download will not download.
    The investment transactions previously downloaded under Complete should not be removed when switching to Simple so you should still be seeing those.  The only ones that should be missing are the ones that did not download while your accounts were in Simple mode.
    To fill in the missing transactions I think there are only three options and you will need to decide which one is the best for you:
    1. Restore the last backup file from before you switched over to Simple mode.  Then make sure your accounts are set up for Complete and run OSU.  The missing transactions from the last 60-90 days should download (but the actual number of days that will download are determined by your brokerage).   Note restoring a backup will mean that all of your other accounts (not just these investment accounts) will need to be updated as well and perhaps not all of the missing transactions for those accounts will be downloaded.  This might be your best option if you only need to restore a backup file from just the last couple of weeks or so.
    2. Another option is to manually delete the Add/Remove Shares transactions and then enter all the missing investment transactions.  With this method you won't need to be concerned about needing to update all of your other accounts because of restoring an older backup file.
    3. The 3rd option is to simple leave the Add/Remove shares transactions as is (but maybe enter any missing cost information).  Under Complete, going forward you will get new transactions downloaded but you won't have the missing historical data. 
    Does this answer your question?
  • maryanngray
    maryanngray Member
    I have switched back to "complete" mode, but no transactions are downloading, only add and remove. I understand that I may have to go back and add some manually, but what about current and future transactions? Why are they not downloading after I switched back to "complete"?
  • Boatnmaniac
    After switching back to Complete, all new and future transactions should download. 
    Are you getting any error codes during OSU?
    Who is the investment company?
    There was an issue for me before I updated to R39.23 in which some of my investment accounts would randomly change from Complete to Simple.  You might want to confirm that your Account Details still shows Complete is set up.
    While you are still in Account Details, does the Online Setup tab show the accounts are set up still set up for Direct Connect?  (It should show Direct Connect for almost all investment companies).
    If it does not show Direct Connect is still set up you will need to do Set Up Now (or Add Account) to get OSU working again.
    If it still shows Direct Connect, maybe try "Reset Account". 
    Or if that does not resolve it you could try to Deactivate the account and then do Set Up Now.
    Did any of this resolve the issue?
  • maryanngray
    maryanngray Member
    Have confirmed "complete", but transactions are still just downloading as added and removed. No error message. Still says direct connect and I reset, but no luck. I guess I'll just have to manually enter from now on. It's a lot of transactions!
  • Boatnmaniac
    Who is the Financial Institution?
    Are you getting any error codes?
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited April 19
    @maryanngray - The only thing I can think of that would cause this is that Quicken is entering Placeholder transactions.  Placeholders will be Add/Remove Shares transactions and they are entered when there is an issue in which the number of shares in Quicken does not match what the Financial Institution has downloaded.  Placeholders must be manually resolved because the issue will not go away on its own.
    Are these Add/Remove transactions Placeholders or are you seeing any Placeholder transactions in your registers?  (To see Placeholder transactions in the registers you need to have your Preferences set to show hidden transactions.):

• maryanngray
    maryanngray Member
    No error codes
    JPMorgan
    Not placeholder transactions as far as I can tell. Changed to show hidden transactions and nothing changed. No real transactions have loaded since dec 31, 2021 (but I am assuming that's when I changed to simple. Changes back to complete a couple of days ago and still not transactions. Same for both JPM accounts.