Reconcile date

When reconciling a checkbook the initial screen, showing the prior balance and asking for the current balance, etc. always defaults to the day of the month last entered. For example, if the account was last reconciled on February 28, the prompt will be "March 28." This is silly. In every instance, the date prompt should be to the last business day of each month.
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why the last business day?  My saving and checking account statements are thru the last day of the month.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have account statements that end on the 4th, 11th, 20th, and 21st as well as several on the last day of the month. Some of those vary with weekends and holidays, some don’t. I find the current default (same date as prior month reconcile) quite reasonable. 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:
    I have account statements that end on the 4th, 11th, 20th, and 21st as well as several on the last day of the month. Some of those vary with weekends and holidays, some don’t. I find the current default (same date as prior month reconcile) quite reasonable. 
    Yes and no. If your bank account closes statements at the last day of the month, then the reconcile statement end date should advance to the correct last day of the month, i.e.
    • 1/31 2/28 3/31 4/30 5/31 ... 12/31
    As currently programmed (and it has done this ever since I started using Quicken many years ago), it advances to the same day used in the prior month, correcting for the short February, and then continuing (if not manually corrected) using the same day every month
    • 1/31 2/28 3/28 4/28 5/28 ... 12/28
    If corrected in March it'll adjust April to 30th and continue using 30th for the remainder of the year:
    • 1/31 2/28 3/31 4/30 5/30 ... 12/30
    The problem here is that the program does not know about the fact that this bank account always closes on the last calendar day in every month and therefore does not know to adjust the date accordingly.
    What's missing is a flag in Quicken, one for each account, to set the next reconcile end date to
    • either a fixed date 1...28
    • or a floating "last calendar day" varying from 28 to 31 as applicable to each month

Or may be we can change this without changing Quicken: Let's just send someone out there and push the Earth into an orbit which is exactly 360 days long: 12 months, 30 days each.
    Problem solved. And no more leap years. :blush: