What happened to MiscIncX and MiscExpX action codes in Investing?

Pat U
Pat U Member
I am using Quicken Windows Subscription Premier R39.23. I converted from MS Money years ago. All of my investment accounts (including retirement accounts) are setup linked to a cash account.
On 4/14/22 I was able to enter a MiscIncX transaction in an IRA account and the $$ transferred to the cash account. On 4/15/22 I tried to enter a similar transaction in another IRA account and the action MiscIncX was no longer available, so I entered the transaction as income, but no auto transfer into the linked cash account happened. In fact the linked cash account was greyed out when completing the transaction.
This functionality has seemingly disappeared overnight! Upon further review the MiscExpX, which I use quite often in all my investment & IRA accounts, is no longer available in any account, not just Retirement accts. This is functionality that existed last week and needs to be restored. Let's maintain backwards functionality please?

Best Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I seem to recall that converts from MS Money WERE able to have "Linked Cash Accounts" with retirement brokerage accounts.  But I haven't found those references, nor if anything changed recently.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Pat U said:
    I converted from MS Money years ago. All of my investment accounts (including retirement accounts) are setup linked to a cash account.
    This was caused by a bug in the MS Money converter.
    Quicken have never allowed having a linked cash account with retirement accounts.
    The person that wrote the converter didn't know that (an ex Microsoft developer), and somehow set up these accounts like that in Quicken (since it is bypassing the Quicken GUI this is of course possible).

This means that in fact you have been living with a bug for all these years, and how Quicken might react to that bug now and in the future is "unknown".
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19 Answer ✓
    In theory Quicken should put the correct cash transactions back into the investment account.
    I say in theory because I have tried this and at times it didn't put the right transactions in.

And in the special case of the accounts that shouldn't have had a linked cash account in the first place you will find that there isn't any way to deselect the linked cash account option, since it wasn't supposed to be on in the first place.

Edited to include examples:
    Non retirement account:

Retirement account:

Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19 Answer ✓
    Pat U said:
    So, can/should I just unlink the cash accounts that are currently linked to the retirement accounts? And, if that is possible, what happens to dividends, interest, miscellaneous expenses and income, if there is no linked cash account?
    Normally, for non-retirement investment accounts, we may reset whether we want to show cash in a checking account: open the investment account and press Ctrl + Shift + E   When we switch, the cash transactions move between the registers and the transfer actions between the investment and checking registers are appropriately introduced or removed.

Before making any significant changes to your Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B

You may want to consider creating new accounts and moving the transactions.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, Quicken has always limited the Action pull-down menu of IRA accounts.  I suspect the intent is to insure the cash transactions are handled appropriately.
  • Pat U
    Pat U Member
    It has been working for me for years, ever since I converted from MS Money. I was able to use both MiscIncX and MiscExpX for years, and as recently as 4/14/22, in both Retirement accounts and regular Investment accounts (all accounts linked to cash accounts.) As of 4/15/22 those two action codes can not be found.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I seem to recall that converts from MS Money WERE able to have "Linked Cash Accounts" with retirement brokerage accounts.  But I haven't found those references, nor if anything changed recently.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Pat U said:
    I converted from MS Money years ago. All of my investment accounts (including retirement accounts) are setup linked to a cash account.
    This was caused by a bug in the MS Money converter.
    Quicken have never allowed having a linked cash account with retirement accounts.
    The person that wrote the converter didn't know that (an ex Microsoft developer), and somehow set up these accounts like that in Quicken (since it is bypassing the Quicken GUI this is of course possible).

This means that in fact you have been living with a bug for all these years, and how Quicken might react to that bug now and in the future is "unknown".
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19
    Pat U said:
    It has been working for me for years, ever since I converted from MS Money. I was able to use both MiscIncX and MiscExpX for years, and as recently as 4/14/22, in both Retirement accounts and regular Investment accounts (all accounts linked to cash accounts.) As of 4/15/22 those two action codes can not be found.
    The MiscIncX and MiscExpX actions should be available in the non-IRA accounts.
  • Pat U
    Pat U Member
    So, can/should I just unlink the cash accounts that are currently linked to the retirement accounts? And, if that is possible, what happens to dividends, interest, miscellaneous expenses and income, if there is no linked cash account?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19 Answer ✓
    In theory Quicken should put the correct cash transactions back into the investment account.
    I say in theory because I have tried this and at times it didn't put the right transactions in.

And in the special case of the accounts that shouldn't have had a linked cash account in the first place you will find that there isn't any way to deselect the linked cash account option, since it wasn't supposed to be on in the first place.

Edited to include examples:
    Non retirement account:

Retirement account:

Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19 Answer ✓
    Pat U said:
    Normally, for non-retirement investment accounts, we may reset whether we want to show cash in a checking account: open the investment account and press Ctrl + Shift + E   When we switch, the cash transactions move between the registers and the transfer actions between the investment and checking registers are appropriately introduced or removed.

Before making any significant changes to your Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B

You may want to consider creating new accounts and moving the transactions.
  • Pat U
    Pat U Member
    Thanks Sherlock, for your quick answers.
    I wasted two hours chatting with support yesterday about this and they just had me restore from different backups multiple times, which apparently was not the issue.
    I understand that retirement accounts, according to Quicken, should not have a cash account linked to them, but mine came that way through the MS Money conversion. They have been working appropriately all these years until last week when two transaction “actions” disappeared overnight, likely in a software update.
    I agree that starting with new accounts, which do not have linked cash accounts, might be a solution to this issue, but I am afraid that I am not up for all that work. It truly sounds to me like there will be a great deal of manual cleanup. I have found a workaround since those two actions are not available to me anymore, so I think my best option is to use the workaround.
    Thanks again for your help.