Text changes to color bars, icons disappear when cursor passes over in Bills & Income

On the Bills & Income screen, when the cursor goes over text in the recent payments window the payee names change to color bars. When the cursor goes over the settings, update all, and add new reminder icons, they disappear. In most cases moving the cursor over these fields will restore them. Also, in the Upcoming window, the edit and enter buttons will disappear as described above. Changing screens and returning will refresh display and show all.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    DeeBee13 said:
    On the Bills & Income screen, when the cursor goes over text in the recent payments window the payee names change to color bars. When the cursor goes over the settings, update all, and add new reminder icons, they disappear. In most cases moving the cursor over these fields will restore them. Also, in the Upcoming window, the edit and enter buttons will disappear as described above. Changing screens and returning will refresh display and show all.
    Hello @DeeBee13

I am sorry to hear about these issues with icons, menu options, and user interface colors changing or disappearing. Thank you for seeking assistance on the Quicken Community with respect to these problems.

When did this issue begin? If possible, I recommend restoring from a backup by going to File > Restore a Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Provided that backups have been saved regularly by going to the same menu and selecting Copy or Backup File... there should be a recent backup available that can be restored in order to determine whether or not this behavior continues. 

Also, where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu mentioned previously. 

I look forward to hearing more from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • DeeBee13
    DeeBee13 Member
    Hi Jared, This issue started a couple of years ago. I was hoping it would be resolved in future releases but that didn't happen. I did get a new computer around then so it may be related. I tried changing screen resolution and frame rates but no luck. I even re-installed Quicken to see if that would help, but it didn't. My current active data file is here: C:\Users\allie\Documents\Quicken
    Hope this helps. If you need a screen grab of the problem I'll see what I can do. Thanks.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @DeeBee13,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you don't mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the issue you described above? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you do not see an option to add attachments.

Thank you!
    -Quicken Anja
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭
    I'm seeing something similar in Bills and Income.  Clicking "enter" on a paycheck will do nothing.  But then moving the mouse to the left of it, a second "enter" will appear and that one will work.  For me this started in the last 6 months or so but does it on both my new and old computer, which are different display resolutions etc.

Screen shot attached showing the two enters.  The second only appears (and covers over some other text) if I hover the mouse to the left of the first one.  The one on the right does nothing if clicked, but that's where it is supposed to be, and where it has always been.

• DeeBee13
    DeeBee13 Member
    Quicken Anja, Sorry for the delay. Attached is a snapshot of the problem I have with Quicken. Note, besides the payment titles going all rainbow, the Action buttons can disappear when the cursor goes over them.
  • Quicken Jared
    DeeBee13 said:
    Quicken Anja, Sorry for the delay. Attached is a snapshot of the problem I have with Quicken. Note, besides the payment titles going all rainbow, the Action buttons can disappear when the cursor goes over them.
    Hello @DeeBee13

Thank you for providing that helpful screenshot. I am sorry that this issue is still yet to be resolved. 

First, save a backup, then try validating the data file by proceeding through these steps, in order:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I look forward to hearing back from you once you are able to speak of the results of these troubleshooting steps. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A number of years ago, IIRC, there was a discussion here in the Community about a similar issue. Turned out that the user had installed some software on his/her laptop "to prevent others from looking over his/her shoulder and reading the screen" ... is there something like that on your computer?
  • DeeBee13
    DeeBee13 Member
    Hi Jared, Unfortunately doing both types of Validate and Repair did not resolve the issue. To me it appears it may be related to the display drivers. I tried changing resolution but that didn't work. I reinstalled Quicken but still no success. Let me know what else I can try.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    DeeBee13 said:
    Hi Jared, Unfortunately doing both types of Validate and Repair did not resolve the issue. To me it appears it may be related to the display drivers. I tried changing resolution but that didn't work. I reinstalled Quicken but still no success. Let me know what else I can try.
    Have you looked in Windows Control Panel to see if there are any updated display drives, available for download from the vendor? Sometimes what comes with the Windows installation materials is not up to date.

• Quicken Jared
    DeeBee13 said:
    Hello @DeeBee13

I am sorry to hear that this issue is continuing. Thank you for keeping me informed about what is happening.

One other option left to us is to try copying your data file. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied data file, and that it will be necessary to reactivate all online account connections, online Bill Manager services, and all online notifications in the new copy of the data file. Also, a new data set will be created in the new data file, should you intend to use that as your primary data file, going forward.

With that in mind, if you wish to continue, follow these steps, in order:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Copy or Backup File...
    3. Select Create a copy or template
    4. Click Next 
    5. Select a file location on your computer
    6. Click Save Copy
    7. Select New Copy
    8. Click OK
    I am eager to hear any response you may be able to provide, should you have the chance to check in with us once more. 

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭
    DeeBee13 said:
    Hello @DeeBee13

I am sorry to hear that this issue is continuing. Thank you for keeping me informed about what is happening.

One other option left to us is to try copying your data file. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied data file, and that it will be necessary to reactivate all online account connections, online Bill Manager services, and all online notifications in the new copy of the data file. Also, a new data set will be created in the new data file, should you intend to use that as your primary data file, going forward.

With that in mind, if you wish to continue, follow these steps, in order:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Copy or Backup File...
    3. Select Create a copy or template
    4. Click Next 
    5. Select a file location on your computer
    6. Click Save Copy
    7. Select New Copy
    8. Click OK
    I am eager to hear any response you may be able to provide, should you have the chance to check in with us once more. 

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 

The issue I'm seeing (not sure if it is related, see my screen shot above with the dual "enter" buttons) is definitely not a driver issue as it started doing it on a machine I've been using for years, and now is also doing it on a brand new laptop as well.  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    To me this seems like one of the numerous "scaling" problems.
    Maybe some of this might help:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20186587/#Comment_20186587
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/