Quicken opens - then crashes ?

Dave K123
Dave K123 Member ✭✭
When I enter my password for the default file, I get prompted to enter an error report (which I have done). After reopening Quicken, if I hit cancel, go to file and "Find files"
I can find the default file in it's default location and open with no problem and Quicken opens When trying to validate the file, I get the error crash report again. Is there something I am missing?
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @Dave K123,

Thank you for coming to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this error. 

What version of Quicken are you running?

If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error message you described receiving? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Looking forward to hearing your response.
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • Dave K123
    Dave K123 Member ✭✭
    Thanks I am using R39.23 build 27.1.39.23
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @Dave K123,

Thank you for your response and for updating us with the Quicken version that you are running. 

Do you mind uploading a screenshot of the error crash report that you are receiving? If you need instructions on how to upload a screenshot, please refer to my previous response within this thread. 

Thank you!
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • Dave K123
    Dave K123 Member ✭✭
    Here are two screenshots
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    Dave K123 said:
    Here are two screenshots
    Hello @Dave K123,

Thanks for providing those helpful screenshots and for continuing to follow up with us about this.

Have you attempted uninstalling and reinstalling the Quicken software? Also, where is the current active data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen.

I look forward to hearing your replies. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Dave K123
    Dave K123 Member ✭✭
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken. Same result
  • Quicken Jared
    Dave K123 said:
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken. Same result
    @Dave K123

Thank you for checking back in with us about this. I am sorry that the issue remains unresolved, as of now.

Be sure that the active data file is located on your computer and not in an external drive or cloud-based storage service, as these latter locations can cause some erratic behavior and even data damage. You can check the location of the data file using the menu options I have mentioned previously.

Also, save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... and then follow the instructions listed below, in order: 

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I am eager to hear your response. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Dave K123
    Dave K123 Member ✭✭
    The file is located in the following folder
    This PC\Local Disk (C:)\Users\davek\Documents\Quicken
  • Quicken Jared
    Dave K123 said:
    The file is located in the following folder
    This PC\Local Disk (C:)\Users\davek\Documents\Quicken
    Hello @Dave K123

I appreciate you getting back to me with the data file location. 

If the issue is continuing after attempting to validate and supervalidate your data file, one other option is to copy the data file, itself. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect up all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward as the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If you still wish to proceed, save a backup and then follow the instructions listed below:

1. Navigate to File > Copy or Backup File...
    2. Select Create a copy or template... 
    3. Click Next
    4. Click Save Copy after selecting a location for the copy to be stored
    5. Click New Copy 
    6. Click Ok
    Feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • Dave K123
    Dave K123 Member ✭✭
    I tried that as well. When I clicked on New copy, I got the crash report screen again.
  • Dave K123
    Dave K123 Member ✭✭
    I super validated the file. Closed Quicken. Waited ten seconds. When opening the file, I got kicked to the crash report screen again. This is very frustrating. Have been a Quicken user for over 30 years.
    I have to leave for a meeting within the next 20 minutes. I will have to pick up tomorrow afternoon.
  • Dave K123
    Dave K123 Member ✭✭
    Now Quicken won't even open, kicked to crash report screen immediately.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled?

FAQ: Windows Defender & Controlled Folder Access — Quicken
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Dave K123
    Dave K123 Member ✭✭
    Uninstalled a second time, reinstalled. Quicken won't open, just a crash report screen
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again, do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to clarify - when specifically does Quicken crash ?
    Does it happen immediately after opening, or are there certain menu touches that cause it to crash or certain steps that cause the problem ? 
    Just trying to focus down to what causes it, and can it be reproduced 

QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • Dave K123
    Dave K123 Member ✭✭
    I can't even open Quicken now. I click on the icon in my taskbar and it goes to the crash report screen