Issue that bill and reminders are mapped automatically to incorrect transactions

Let's say I have a reminder in "Bill and Income Reminders' to pay Friend A $50 every month.

Then, I go into my bank and I withdraw $50 for another misc reason.

Quicken will then take the entry from "Bill & Income Reminders" and show the withdrawn $50 as the $50 I was supposed to make the Friend A. It then removes it from the 'Bill and Income Reminder' entirely, even if I correct it in the register.

How do I stop if from automatically assuming items from Bill & Income Reminders are X amounts in a given register?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    Let's say I have a reminder in "Bill and Income Reminders' to pay Friend A $50 every month.

Then, I go into my bank and I withdraw $50 for another misc reason.

Quicken will then take the entry from "Bill & Income Reminders" and show the withdrawn $50 as the $50 I was supposed to make the Friend A. It then removes it from the 'Bill and Income Reminder' entirely, even if I correct it in the register.

How do I stop if from automatically assuming items from Bill & Income Reminders are X amounts in a given register?
    Hello @jhmariscal,       

I am sorry to hear about this problem with automatic changing of transaction information. Thank you for reaching out about this problem here on the Quicken Community.

I am curious; what steps are you taking to set up a Bill Reminder? Also, what kind of information is being changed in the register? Does it include the name of the transaction as well as the category? If you can, I recommend providing a screenshot for us in order to investigate this problem further. You can follow the thread linked here for instructions about submitting screenshots here on the Quicken Community.

Please note that you can also drag and drop images into your comment before it has been posted.

I look forward to seeing your response. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • jhmariscal
    jhmariscal Member
    Hello Jared,

I did not get a notification you had posted. TO set up bill reminders, I just use the "Bill and Income Reminders" window, hit the gear button at top right and select Manual reminder for income or expense.

As noted, it can be lots of stuff. So in the screenshots below, I have a $50 withdrawal for cash to have on hand. As you can see, the system automatically named the PAYEE to "BDay- Humberto"

Inthe register, it names it and gives it the category from the reminder listing and removes it from the reminder page. Even if I correct the registry before I accept it, the reminder is still gone.
  • Quicken Jared
    Hello Jared,

I did not get a notification you had posted. TO set up bill reminders, I just use the "Bill and Income Reminders" window, hit the gear button at top right and select Manual reminder for income or expense.

As noted, it can be lots of stuff. So in the screenshots below, I have a $50 withdrawal for cash to have on hand. As you can see, the system automatically named the PAYEE to "BDay- Humberto"

Inthe register, it names it and gives it the category from the reminder listing and removes it from the reminder page. Even if I correct the registry before I accept it, the reminder is still gone.
    Hello @jhmariscal

Thank you for reaching out to me once again. I apologize that our path forward remains somewhat unclear.

First, I want to remind you to save any backups before attempting any other troubleshooting steps by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. 

Have you already tried verifying and/or changing the information available in the Memorized Payee List? You can access this menu item in the Tools menu at the top of the screen. Please note that you can also change the Renaming Rules regarding certain transactions by clicking on the button of the same name in the Memorized Payee List window. I want to make sure that everything appears to be as you would expect in the list as well as in the Renaming Rules window; do you see any entries under the Rename Rules tab in the window that appears after you click the button of the same name?

I hope to hear more from you about this issue. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • jhmariscal
    jhmariscal Member
    Nothing looks out of place when it come to the examples I have brought up.
  • jhmariscal
    jhmariscal Member
    As a side note, it also adds items from the reminders section straight to the register.
  • Quicken Jared
    edited April 27
    As a side note, it also adds items from the reminders section straight to the register.
    Hello @jhmariscal

I appreciate you getting back to me and providing further information about what is happening. I am sorry that the issue is continuing.

Where is your current active data file located? You can find this by going to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure that the data file is saved locally on your computer, rather than in an external drive or cloud-based storage service. I also recommend saving a backup and then after this, walking through the steps provided below, in order:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I look forward to hearing from you once again. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jhmariscal
    Do you ever see a pop up asking "Is this the next payment for..."? If so, that is Quicken trying to match a transaction to a reminder. I've found the best response to this pop up is to consistently answer NO. This avoids the reminder matching to an incorrect transaction. 

If you are not seeing this pop up, it could be because you have your download transactions set to automatically add to the register. You may want to turn off that preference temporarily to see if you get the pop up when accepting downloaded transactions into the register. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list