opening Quicken QDF files - Confused

sungate
sungate Member ✭✭
Suddenly whenever I try to open a QDF file I get a screen titled View and Track Downloads with a long list below it .... my files just do not open up as they should

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @sungate

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

Before I can further assist you, I require some more information. What version of Quicken are you running? You can see this by navigating to Help > About Quicken. When did this issue begin to occur? Do you receive any sort of error codes or messages when attempting to open a QDF file? 

If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of what occurs when attempting to import a QDF file (please remember to redact private information)? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Looking forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine
  • sungate
    sungate Member ✭✭
    Quicken dluxe 2020 Quicken Windows 8/8.1/10 32 and 64 bit) Everyting was fine until just a while ago ... there are often several layers... my directories are not becoming filled with dozens of iles that mean nothing to me
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @sungate,

Thank you for your response and for uploading the screenshot. 

I recommend right-clicking on the file and choosing "open with", then you will locate Quicken within that list and click a checkbox that says something along the lines of "always open with this app"

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response.
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • sungate
    sungate Member ✭✭
    I will check this out shortly ....will let you know the results ....
  • sungate
    sungate Member ✭✭
    Whenever I try to open the file as suggested I am told a restoration process has to occur ---- I never saw this in over 15 years of using Quicken ... why can't the file just close and the one I want simply open up ?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    sungate said:
    Quicken dluxe 2020 Quicken Windows 8/8.1/10 32 and 64 bit) Everyting was fine until just a while ago ...
    there are often several layers... my directories are now becoming filled with dozens of files that mean nothing to me
    you never replied with this info - Help --> About Quicken.

QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25
    sungate said:
    Whenever I try to open the file as suggested I am told a restoration process has to occur ---- I never saw this in over 15 years of using Quicken ... why can't the file just close and the one I want simply open up ?
    I'm really confused on your overall disk layout - and usage -
    and why are you opening a file from your "backup" drive & sub-dir ?
    You should be able to open your "recent" Quicken QDF file by merely starting Quicken...
    if not, then Quicken is confused in trying to access your QDF files.....  Menu - File --> {list of 4 recent at very bottom}
    As mentioned, you should also be able to open any Quicken QDF file by merely clicking on it - or even Right-Click on it.

• sungate
    sungate Member ✭✭
    I did exactly that ...... and this is what appeared when I tried to open the file
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    sungate said: Whenever I try to open the file as suggested I am told a restoration process has to occur ----
    Why are you opening a BACKUP file ?
    Are you displaying the "file extension" so you can tell all the files apart ?
    Windows 10:
    1. Open any folder with Windows File Explorer;
    2. Click the View tab in File Explorer.
    3. Click the box next to "[x] File name extensions" to see file extensions.

• sungate
    sungate Member ✭✭
    Awaiting your reply
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    sungate said:
    Awaiting your reply
    Hello @sungate

Thank you for checking back with us. I do apologize if the issue is continuing.

I believe that @Ps56k2 had some questions directed toward you; I want to make sure that you have seen these and that you have attempted some of the recommendations provided alongside them, as well. 

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25
    Don't know why these Q&A are getting flagged as REJECTED ANSWER -
    but I guess I'm done here -

sungate said:
    Awaiting your reply
  • sungate
    sungate Member ✭✭
    I have become totally confused .... I need big help ... which file extensions should I be using to open up my desired files ?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25
    I don't even know where the browser downloads fit into the picture -
    guessing a manual "download" from some bank - but that would be a QFX and not a QDF - so confusing  ???

• sungate
    sungate Member ✭✭
    I have no connection to any bank that I am aware of .... there was never a problem before like this
  • sungate
    sungate Member ✭✭
    This is a copy of the contents of my QW Master -2022 directory
  • sungate
    sungate Member ✭✭
    Whatever advice you can give is appreciated .... it's just that the files do not open up to the sprad sheets like they used --- the downloads are a mystery to me ... and there are so mny different file extensions that confusion exists
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25
    sungate said:
    Quicken dluxe 2020 Quicken Windows 8/8.1/10 32 and 64 bit) Everyting was fine until just a while ago ... there are often several layers... my directories are not becoming filled with dozens of iles that mean nothing to me
    You appear to have changed the Windows default app by file type mapping to open a .QDF file with Internet Explorer.  I suggest you reset the .QDF file type to Quicken Windows.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-default-programs-in-windows-e5d82cad-17d1-c53b-3505-f10a32e1894d
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25
    In your graphic, to the right of  the  highlighted  file, it says "Quicken QDF Backup". 
    SO, why are you opening a Backup file and opening your  .QDF from within Q itself?  FILE,  Open
    Quicken file,  or  it's CTRL-O shortcut.
    If that Backup has your most recent data, RESTORE it using FILE, "Restore a backup file".
    And, per your graphic, are you running Q Canada?   Some of our advice MIGHT be a bit off.   Q CDA is very close  to Q US, but not identical. The name of the highlighted file in your graphic makes me suspect this.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • sungate
    sungate Member ✭✭
    The Canada is only a file title -----I am not in the same league as you guys ... re your suggestionsm when I try to open up a Q DF file with Open With it offers only Int. Exploere and ends up with a View and Track Your Downloads page
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    sungate said:
    The Canada is only a file title -----I am not in the same league as you guys ... re your suggestionsm when I try to open up a Q DF file with Open With it offers only Int. Exploere and ends up with a View and Track Your Downloads page
    Another approach that should correct the default app by file type issue is to perform a clean uninstall, install, and update of Quicken.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Go back  to @Sherlock's reply of 5:13pm for instructions on how to fix this.
  • sungate
    sungate Member ✭✭
    The 5:13 answer is missing for some reason ... would it be possible to repeat it ?
  • sungate
    sungate Member ✭✭
    Just a little background .... for years and years I have been using Quicken 13 .... there was no internet connection involved ... all I ever did was to click on the file ... it opened up... I did what I had to and then went another file ... I never ran into all the various features which are in the latest Quicken ... I bought the Quicked Deluxe disc from eBay a year or so ago and up to a few days ago was OK with it .. but someting happened and I must have screwed up badly with my file saving or naming ??? All I want is to go back to being able to have my desired files in the appropriate directory and click on then to open to the correct format and to to close them without all the straange frames I have never seen before. Also I need a simple instructions as posible because I have never had to be aware of all the different Qicken directoriesbefore. Is this possible ? You all seem really caring about helping as I can see from you replies.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25
    sungate said:
    The 5:13 answer is missing for some reason ... would it be possible to repeat it ?
    The post is not missing.  NotACPA appears to live in the central time zone.
  • sungate
    sungate Member ✭✭
    Further ....and the main thing is that I do want lose any of my previous data.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25
    sungate said:
    Just a little background .... for years and years I have been using Quicken 13 .... there was no internet connection involved ... all I ever did was to click on the file ... it opened up... I did what I had to and then went another file ... I never ran into all the various features which are in the latest Quicken ... I bought the Quicked Deluxe disc from eBay a year or so ago and up to a few days ago was OK with it .. but someting happened and I must have screwed up badly with my file saving or naming ??? All I want is to go back to being able to have my desired files in the appropriate directory and click on then to open to the correct format and to to close them without all the straange frames I have never seen before. Also I need a simple instructions as posible because I have never had to be aware of all the different Qicken directoriesbefore. Is this possible ? You all seem really caring about helping as I can see from you replies.
    To perform the clean uninstall, install, and update, download and open: https://download.quicken.com/windows/Quicken.exe
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26
    Sherlock said:
    sungate said:
    The post is not missing.  NotACPA appears to live in the mountain time zone.
    Actually, I'm in Central time zone.
    And, re: not losing data ... just take a backup before you begin this.
  • sungate
    sungate Member ✭✭
    Hoping not to sound too dumb .... go through the correct backup steps .... when I right click I do not see a backup command
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    You 1st need to click the FILE menu, then click "Backup a Quicken file".