Security Name Already In Use

I have two investing portfolios in my Quicken Premiere file, each of which has some of the same stock (among other stocks). That stock had a corporate spin-off. I can enter a "Corporate Securities Spin-off" transaction for one of the portfolios and Quicken processes it just fine, but when I try to do the same for the second portfolio's share of the same stock it displays an error message "Security name already In use, please enter a new name." Of course it is already in use! The security spin-off needs to be reflected in both portfolios. How do I get Quicken to allow the spin-off transaction in the 2nd portfolio?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Corporate Securities Spin-Off wizard should have inserted the appropriate transactions in all of the accounts holding the original security.
  • goldsla
    goldsla Member
    Nope. It doesn't do that. The transaction for one of the portfolios is imported from UBS. The transaction for the other is a manually entered transaction. Telling me what something should have done when I am telling you that it isn't doing that is not helpful. Thank you for trying, but do please read more carefully. If the Sin-off wizard had behaved properly, I wouldn't have posted. You may take it as read that there is not a simple answer to this.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25
    goldsla said:
    Nope. It doesn't do that. The transaction for one of the portfolios is imported from UBS. The transaction for the other is a manually entered transaction. Telling me what something should have done when I am telling you that it isn't doing that is not helpful. Thank you for trying, but do please read more carefully. If the Sin-off wizard had behaved properly, I wouldn't have posted. You may take it as read that there is not a simple answer to this.
    I suspect the holding in the other account may not have been the same security or entered before you performed the Corporate Securities Spin-Off wizard.  If you want to use the wizard again, use a new security and manually reset the security in the generated transactions.
  • goldsla
    goldsla Member
    The holding in the other portfolio is the exact same security. It was imported from UBS before I had the transaction data for the other portfolio. It shouldn't matter which gets entered first. It should allow me to override the "warning" about the security already existing and go on about my business. Yes, I could enter the, literally, hundreds of transactions manually (dividend reinvesting over 40 years) but that defeats the purpose of having the wizard. Is that the best workaround you can think of? I'll call Quicken support tomorrow.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    goldsla said:
    The holding in the other portfolio is the exact same security. It was imported from UBS before I had the transaction data for the other portfolio. It shouldn't matter which gets entered first. It should allow me to override the "warning" about the security already existing and go on about my business. Yes, I could enter the, literally, hundreds of transactions manually (dividend reinvesting over 40 years) but that defeats the purpose of having the wizard. Is that the best workaround you can think of? I'll call Quicken support tomorrow.
    Another choice is to restore a backup and confirm the correct holdings are present before using the wizard.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    goldsla said: Nope. It doesn't do that. The transaction for one of the portfolios is imported from UBS. The transaction for the other is a manually entered transaction.
    When you bring up the old existing security in the Security List and Detailed View -
    do ALL of the transactions from the various accounts show in the Transaction History in the Account column ?

QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • goldsla
    goldsla Member
    It shows all transactions for the security in all accounts.

I ended up changing the security name for the imported transactions in one account to a dummy name, then used the wizard for the other account. After that was done, I changed the security name in the imported transactions back to be correct and deleted the dummy security name. Fortunately there were only a few imported transactions. But this workaround would have been very tedious had there been many transactions. As I said, in one account the spin-off wizard created over a hundred transactions due to quarterly dividend reinvesting over many years. That could have been the situation in both accounts. This really is a serious bug.